• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit smells like urine how do I clean?

lokijuhy3

New Kit
I have two rabbits that live together and we clean their litter box twice a day. However, they like to sleep in it so they smell like urine. I do not want to give them a bath because that would put them through a lot of stress. Any suggestions? Oh and they are dwarf mixes.

:wave: My rabbit does this.. She's doing it right now lol. We get those pet friendly wipes and clean her bum, tail and lady bits :) And it's worked so far :)

Edit - It's purely 'cause she sits in her wee. She is able to clean herself now after the diet she was on worked :) (Alright for some... :lol:) If they're chubby then they may not be able to clean themselves properly, that's why Poppy couldn't and we had to do it for her but it's all good now :) She doesn't smell of wee but I don't want her to get sore or anything :)

Last edited:
What sex are they ?

Are they neutered ?

Do they have any known health problems ?

It is unusual for a *healthy* Rabbit to 'smell of urine' as Rabbits are generally very clean and will spend a lot of time grooming themselves if needed.

However, a Rabbit with an underlying heath problem may not keep him/herself clean.

What sex are they ?

Are they neutered ?

Do they have any known health problems ?

It is unusual for a *healthy* Rabbit to 'smell of urine' as Rabbits are generally very clean and will spend a lot of time grooming themselves if needed.

However, a Rabbit with an underlying heath problem may not keep him/herself clean.

:thumb:

Totally agree with Jane there

Last edited:
They are both females. They do groom themselves and each other regularly. I use corn cob bedding for litter which doesn't absorb very well and now that I'm giving them dandelions at night they are urinating more frequently. I don't really want to change their litter because it's safe for them to eat and they are use to it. Any other advice would be most appreciated! Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

They are both females. They do groom themselves and each other regularly. I use corn cob bedding for litter which doesn't absorb very well and now that I'm giving them dandelions at night they are urinating more frequently. I don't really want to change their litter because it's safe for them to eat and they are use to it. Any other advice would be most appreciated! Thanks everyone for your replies!!!

Corn cob bedding? I've not heard of that before, do you mean the leaves? I don't think this sounds very absorbent, do you cover it well in hay? Dandelions are generally considered to be good for the urinary system so unlikely to cause a problem unless fed really excessively. Do they eat plenty of hay and drink plenty of water? Are they drinking too much, maybe if they are eating corn cob bedding it's making them thirsty?

Do they have plenty of hay? I find hay on top of whatever is use for soaking up wee prevents them from sitting in the wee.

Corn cob bedding? I've not heard of that before, do you mean the leaves? I don't think this sounds very absorbent, do you cover it well in hay? Dandelions are generally considered to be good for the urinary system so unlikely to cause a problem unless fed really excessively. Do they eat plenty of hay and drink plenty of water? Are they drinking too much, maybe if they are eating corn cob bedding it's making them thirsty?

I've not heard of it either. So i had a quick google (http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/product.php/3388/0/sun_seed_corn_cob_bedding) seems its safe :shock:

Dandelions fed in any number will cause a bun to urinate more, as its a diuretic, so forces extra liquids out of the body etc - how many do you feed?

If they are drinking a large amount, i would both, cut down the amount of dandelions and consult a vet who has good rabbit knowledge.

I'd strongly recommend also as Schuette says, cover the litter with hay, as they can eat and poop happily then :)

I've not heard of it either. So i had a quick google (http://www.ukpetsupplies.com/product.php/3388/0/sun_seed_corn_cob_bedding) seems its safe :shock:

Dandelions fed in any number will cause a bun to urinate more, as its a diuretic, so forces extra liquids out of the body etc - how many do you feed?

If they are drinking a large amount, i would both, cut down the amount of dandelions and consult a vet who has good rabbit knowledge.

I'd strongly recommend also as Schuette says, cover the litter with hay, as they can eat and poop happily then :)

:shock: A new litter ! Is it crushed up corn niblets? I would imagine that would be safe, I wonder how absorbent it is?

I agree with what Graham said, in excess dandelions are diuretic, however if they are eating the corn cob litter they will drink more, so again lots of hay over the litter will help. :)

I do not cover the corn cob with hay. They are drinking normally and eating their hay normally too. I'm only giving them about 6 dandelion leaves a night along with their carrot. To my knowledge they do not appear to eat very much of the corn cob bedding. They just went to the vet a few weeks ago for a check up and because my one rabbit Peanut was not eating her carrot at night or her dry food. I suspected a blockage and they gave me medicine for it, (Peanut is fine now) but other than that the vet said that they appear normal in every other way.

:shock: A new litter ! Is it crushed up corn niblets? I would imagine that would be safe, I wonder how absorbent it is?

I agree with what Graham said, in excess dandelions are diuretic, however if they are eating the corn cob litter they will drink more, so again lots of hay over the litter will help. :)

Slightly scarily, their website seems to not have links and is just pictures, but they are a division of vitakraft by the looks of it :) I doubt it'd be that absorbent.

That said, yes, i also agree eating the litter will cause more drinking and with the dandelions added affects, i would expect additional urination.

All of that said, i still think a trip to a vet would be a good idea for a health check :)

Are you in the USA OP?

ETA: ignore me, i just read your location :oops:

The bedding is crushed up corn niblets. I think I will try putting hay in their litter box and stop giving them dandelions. Any suggestions on a good green that will not make them urinate so much? I only give them pellet food, hay and a carrot at night and the vet told me that they should have fresh greens too but I'm not sure what would be best.

Yes I live in the United States. Vermont is right on the border of Canada above New York. I just love how much the UK cares about rabbits so that's why I like this forum the best!

I've seen corn cob bedding (cadbury garden centre used to sell it) and it didn't look very absorbant to me so I agree an alternative litter may be an idea if you have one.

The bedding is crushed up corn niblets. I think I will try putting hay in their litter box and stop giving them dandelions. Any suggestions on a good green that will not make them urinate so much? I only give them pellet food, hay and a carrot at night and the vet told me that they should have fresh greens too but I'm not sure what would be best.

Yes I live in the United States. Vermont is right on the border of Canada above New York. I just love how much the UK cares about rabbits so that's why I like this forum the best!

How about trying lots of hay on the litter and the quantity of dandelions sounds OK but maybe reduce slightly to see if there is an improvement, you can feed all sorts of green foods, like on this list

Vegetables:
• Artichoke leaves
• Asparagus
• Baby Sweetcorns (but not full size ones)
• Beetroot (care with leafy tops as high levels of oxalic acid)
• Broccoli (and its leaves, including purple sprouting varieties)* can cause gas
• Brussel Sprouts (leaves and sprouts)
• Cabbage (can sometimes cause digestive upsets)
• Carrots (and carrot tops) – the roots should be limited as they are high in sugars
• Cauliflower (and the leaves)
• Celeriac
• Celery (and its leaves)
• Chicory
• Courgette (and flowers)
• Cucumber
• Curly Kale
• Fennel
• Green beans
• Kohl rabi
• Parsnip
• Peas (including the leaves and pods)
• Peppers (red, green and yellow)
• Pumpkin
• Radish Tops
• Rocket
• Romaine lettuce (not Iceberg or light coloured leaf)
• Spinach (only occasional)
• Spring Greens
• Squash (e.g. Butternut)
• Swede
• Turnip (only occasional)
• Watercress

Herbs (often powerful tastes so may take some getting used to):
• Basil
• Coriander
• Dill * can help with gassy bunnies
• Mint (peppermint)
• Parsley
• Oregano
• Rosemary
• Sage
• Thyme

Fruits (should be fed in moderation, due to sugar content – up to 2 tablespoons worth per day):

Apple
• Apricot
• Banana (high in potassium)
• Blackberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Blueberries
• Cherries
• Grapes
• Kiwi Fruit
• Mango
• Melon
• Nectarines
• Oranges (not the peel)
• Papaya
• Peaches
• Pears
• Pineapple
• Plums
• Raspberries (and leaves – excellent astringent properties)
• Strawberries (and leaves)
• Tomatoes (not the leaves)
Wild Garden Herbs/Weeds/Flowers:
• Borage
• Calendula
• Camomile
• Chickweed (astringent)
• Clover (leaves and flowers)
• Coltsfoot
• Comfrey
• Dandelion (diuretic properties)
• Goosegrass (cleavers) but may stick to coat!
• Lavender
• Mallow
• Nettle
• Nasturtium (leaves and flowers)
• Shepherd’s purse
• Sow Thistle
• Plantain
• Yarrow

Just remember to introduce very gradually to test tolerance, but providing poops are OK you can increase slowly to about a good handful per day.

I use that stuff for the snake.It states on the bag that cans can use it, but its not absorbent.If I spill the snakes water on it,it goes black and mouldy.

Back