• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Avg costs for 2 bunnies per month with no vet bills?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
I know we've had similar threads to this in the past but Im trying to work out what the average expenditure might be for 2 buns per month without vet fees or ongoing medication etc this shouldn't include insurance or set up costs etc this is just the bog standard typical costs! Food including posh hays!, bedding, haybasket, treats etc. I've tried to work out D&Ds but Im constantly getting bits and pieces and never remember to add them up or work out how long it takes to get through a bag of pellets or hay! My ball park figure would be about £40 what do ya reckon?

Im finally getting round to organising my will after putting it off for many months, I know I can't incorporate them into the will but I have to have my wishes for D&D written down in a letter to attach to the will. I want to leave enough money so that they will be completely provided for for the rest of their lives. I obviously know the insurance costs and can guesstimate a lump sum for things not covered by insurance but I need to try and work out general costs!

I estimate £40/mo before vet bills etc for B&G.

Good job your not asking for w/ vet bills :lol:

I have two bunnies and I would say they cost monthly:

Hay £1 (i buy a bale which lasts around 4 months)
Pellets £7.50 (excell 1 large bag will last them a month to 5 weeks)
Treats - I rarely buy them treats as I have a huge stash of pear twigs so £1 at the most
Megazorb £3.20 (one bag lasts me approx 2 months)
Hutch disinfectant £1 (lasts ages)
Veggies £8 a month

Total = £14.95 a month

£40 would be plenty and would allow for any extras and treats or toys required (i haven't included toys as my buns toys have lasted forever!)

What you can do with your Will is request that a specific person takes your bunnies and you will leave them a lump sum on the condition that they look after the bunnies and this sum is to be used for their care and welfare. This can actually go inside the main body of the Will but it is expressed as a non-binding wish on the individual that takes the bunnies. You can express it as the named rabbits you own or any rabbit/pet which you may own at your death. Are you getting a solicitor to draw up your Will?

i have 20 rabbits and 8 babies and 9 guinea pigs and it cost

£9 - £13.50 on 2-3 bales hay
£24 on shavings
£40 green/carrots
£32 excel rabbit x2
£10 excel guinea pig
£4 sack flaked peas and corn to mix into food (last around 3 months a sack)
£1.75 bale redi grass last 4 months £7 a bale
£1.16 15kg sack oat treat last 6 months £7 a sack

£121.91 a month

What you can do with your Will is request that a specific person takes your bunnies and you will leave them a lump sum on the condition that they look after the bunnies and this sum is to be used for their care and welfare. This can actually go inside the main body of the Will but it is expressed as a non-binding wish on the individual that takes the bunnies. You can express it as the named rabbits you own or any rabbit/pet which you may own at your death. Are you getting a solicitor to draw up your Will?

I have had a similar thread before Re Wills and SarahP (another Essex RUer) kindly said she would take D&D if her personal situation still allowed.. should I kick the bucket prematurely:shock:! I would want them to go to a well known and respected RUer rather than my family! I will be going to a solicitor to have it drawn up properly so Im trying to figure out what that lump sum should be! I will name D&D but also state that if they are no longer here :cry: the sum of money should be for which ever furry I own at the time! My family will respect my wishes regarding my furries so should be ok :D

Excluding vaccinations, I'm sure my costs work out at just shy of £20 for two.
I don't buy baled hay though, that would bring it down quite a bit I think.

£10 for four. £7 for hay, £3 for pellets, £0 for newspaper, £0 for greens. :)

That's in summer, in winter it goes up a lot cos of buying in herbs.

I have 4 bunnies.Hay is FOC, I buy a 10k bag of SS and its lasted for about 3 months so far,half a bag left.
Treats is a weekly thing,veg i get when I shop which could be twice a month,at least a tenner for them.
Megazorb is about 3 monthly,as the ferrets use it too and its only litter trays, so it may last longer than that.....
Toys can be anytime I see anything.
I take Lily EVERY month to the vets for a teeth burr and healthcheck.Thats just under a tenner.

Hay is £16 a bag and lasts about 2 months...
Food is £7 a bag and lasts about 3 months

So roughly about £13 a month when you add in treats.

Just worked out that I'm spending around £50 per month with the bulk of the money going on veggies!! (£5 per week).

Pellets £8 lasts 3 months 2.60
Hay bale £7 lasts 2 months 3.50
Posh hay £30 lasts 2 months 15.00
treats £10 lasts 1 month 10.00
Veggies £20 lasts 1 month 20.00

£51.10

Blimey, I really must get these costs down a bit, especially with only working 3 days a week at the moment!! :shock:

ETA: Forgot Megazorb, mind that's only £8.00 ish a bag and it lasts me 2-3 months!

I really want to go foraging but Im sooo terrified of picking something poisonous :oops:

It seems me, Graham and ripminnie are severely overspending :oops:

I have about 5 or 6 things that are easily identifiable and that along with the herbs I've got in the garden keeps us going nicely. Dandelions, plantain, goosegrass, rose petals, bramble leaves are generally the staples so far this year.

I have about 5 or 6 things that are easily identifiable and that along with the herbs I've got in the garden keeps us going nicely. Dandelions, plantain, goosegrass, rose petals, bramble leaves are generally the staples so far this year.

I could probably manage those OK although I dread to think of the state they'd get into with goosegrass :lol:

What veggies are you all buying for your bunnies?? And how much are you giving them per day?

Too many nice nommies :D they have a selection of fresh herbs every day (dill, Parsley, corriander, sage) along with the staples of greens, broccoli, kale, spinach, tiny piece of carrot, green beans. It's rather calcium rich :? but Dudley doesnt like to try anything new and goes on hunger strike!!

I buy 7 large Peppers, 3-4 Large Carrots, 1 Celery, 2 Spring Greens, 1 Brocolli, 1 packet spinach/rocket/watercress, 1 packet herbs, 2 cucumbers a week but that is split between 13.

Sometimes I'll buy some apples as a treat.

Back