• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Measuring hops

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone noticed how the welfare things are now all about how many hops a rabbit can do? Which I guess is good as it relates things to how big a rabbit is but absolutely useless if you've never owned a rabbit and are trying to decide on housing.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever measured their bunny just hopping along to see how far they go per hop?

I'm going to try and measure Scamp (not quite worked out how yet :lol:) it would be interesting if anyone else can try and we can see how far bunnies actually hop! Also if you manage let me know how. I know if I put a tape measure down he's going to throw it instead of hopping along :lol:

Our landing is about 10 foot long and Smudge can clear it in two hops. So five foot!!

Our landing is about 10 foot long and Smudge can clear it in two hops. So five foot!!

:lol: I meant more the ambling about hops rather than jumping invisible hurdles kind. I'm always amazed at how effortless the seem to just take off.

Not sure I could cope with trying to measure the hops of my lot :lol:

Lady Jane would probably be the easiest, I reckon a slow mooching around hop would be 3 foot for a couple of hops (she is a small bunny, tho).

Buttercup only moves when I'm not watching - he lies there doing his stretched out slug impression for hours at a time, I look away and he is in a different part of his house....I reckon he disapparates :?

Dan & Clo only ever move at high speed - no chance of measuring their hops :lol:

could probably measure snowball. bubbles - no way.

i took 2 pictures 1 after the other yesterday. snowball was sat and you can see he hasn't moved a bit. in the first picture, you can see bubbles. in the second, she has miraculously disappeared. i have no idea how she moves so quick :lol:

I will have a go at measuring Spenser's hops. My guess would be over one foot but not as much as two.

think i've seen this on CSI ;) You need to roll a load of ink onto said bunnehs paws and put them on a roll of white paper - then persuade them not to chew or rip the paper, eat this ink or nick the roller. Then they run off in the wrong direction and flop on you pristine white sofa covering it in ink.

think i've seen this on CSI ;) You need to roll a load of ink onto said bunnehs paws and put them on a roll of white paper - then persuade them not to chew or rip the paper, eat this ink or nick the roller. Then they run off in the wrong direction and flop on you pristine white sofa covering it in ink.

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: I meant more the ambling about hops rather than jumping invisible hurdles kind. I'm always amazed at how effortless the seem to just take off.

I know :lol: but I thought it was interesting (and a bit mad) :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That sounds just as much of a challenge!!!

5' leaps are definitely a bit mad

I think I'll let some else try the ink :lol:

I'm gonna try the 'take loads of pics' button on my camera and get him to hop along the tiles so I can measure after... that's the plan anyway

5' leaps are definitely a bit mad

I think I'll let some else try the ink :lol:

I'm gonna try the 'take loads of pics' button on my camera and get him to hop along the tiles so I can measure after... that's the plan anyway

Please let us know how you get on Tamsin.

Mine are all looking decided sleepy at the moment, trying to get them to do any hops will be a challenge right now :lol::lol::lol:

I was thinking about this the other day as Ness and Jingle can cross the 6ft aviary in 3 normal hops.

Back