PDA

View Full Version : Measuring hops

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 01:03 AM
Anyone noticed how the welfare things are now all about how many hops a rabbit can do? Which I guess is good as it relates things to how big a rabbit is but absolutely useless if you've never owned a rabbit and are trying to decide on housing.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever measured their bunny just hopping along to see how far they go per hop?

I'm going to try and measure Scamp (not quite worked out how yet :lol:) it would be interesting if anyone else can try and we can see how far bunnies actually hop! Also if you manage let me know how. I know if I put a tape measure down he's going to throw it instead of hopping along :lol:

Elena
15-06-2011, 01:34 AM
Our landing is about 10 foot long and Smudge can clear it in two hops. So five foot!!

Jenova
15-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Is food a factor in these hops? :lol:

I'll give it a go though. :)

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Our landing is about 10 foot long and Smudge can clear it in two hops. So five foot!!

:lol: I meant more the ambling about hops rather than jumping invisible hurdles kind. I'm always amazed at how effortless the seem to just take off.

KarenM
15-06-2011, 06:19 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone try. :lol::lol::lol:

Blackberry & Co
15-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Not sure I could cope with trying to measure the hops of my lot :lol:

Lady Jane would probably be the easiest, I reckon a slow mooching around hop would be 3 foot for a couple of hops (she is a small bunny, tho).

Buttercup only moves when I'm not watching - he lies there doing his stretched out slug impression for hours at a time, I look away and he is in a different part of his house....I reckon he disapparates :?

Dan & Clo only ever move at high speed - no chance of measuring their hops :lol:

xx-snowball-xx
15-06-2011, 08:37 AM
could probably measure snowball. bubbles - no way.

i took 2 pictures 1 after the other yesterday. snowball was sat and you can see he hasn't moved a bit. in the first picture, you can see bubbles. in the second, she has miraculously disappeared. i have no idea how she moves so quick :lol:

GrahamL
15-06-2011, 08:45 AM
As a sad geek...
5 hops gets Ginger about ~5ft.
5 hops gets Biscuit about ~6ft.

bunnymadhouse
15-06-2011, 09:27 AM
hmmmm .. this copuld be a challenge .. :lol:

susie bun
15-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I will have a go at measuring Spenser's hops. My guess would be over one foot but not as much as two.

NinjaBunneh
15-06-2011, 10:08 AM
think i've seen this on CSI ;) You need to roll a load of ink onto said bunnehs paws and put them on a roll of white paper - then persuade them not to chew or rip the paper, eat this ink or nick the roller. Then they run off in the wrong direction and flop on you pristine white sofa covering it in ink.

KarenM
15-06-2011, 10:12 AM
think i've seen this on CSI ;) You need to roll a load of ink onto said bunnehs paws and put them on a roll of white paper - then persuade them not to chew or rip the paper, eat this ink or nick the roller. Then they run off in the wrong direction and flop on you pristine white sofa covering it in ink.

:lol::lol::lol:

Elena
15-06-2011, 12:10 PM
:lol: I meant more the ambling about hops rather than jumping invisible hurdles kind. I'm always amazed at how effortless the seem to just take off.

I know :lol: but I thought it was interesting (and a bit mad) :lol::lol:

Elena
15-06-2011, 12:11 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That sounds just as much of a challenge!!!

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 02:33 PM
5' leaps are definitely a bit mad

I think I'll let some else try the ink :lol:

I'm gonna try the 'take loads of pics' button on my camera and get him to hop along the tiles so I can measure after... that's the plan anyway

thumps_
15-06-2011, 02:53 PM
5' leaps are definitely a bit mad

I think I'll let some else try the ink :lol:

I'm gonna try the 'take loads of pics' button on my camera and get him to hop along the tiles so I can measure after... that's the plan anyway

Please let us know how you get on Tamsin.

Elena
15-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Mine are all looking decided sleepy at the moment, trying to get them to do any hops will be a challenge right now :lol::lol::lol:

VickiP
15-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I was thinking about this the other day as Ness and Jingle can cross the 6ft aviary in 3 normal hops.

Amy104
15-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I was thinking about this the other day as Ness and Jingle can cross the 6ft aviary in 3 normal hops.

According to the RWAF that is about normal for an adverage breed.

Demonstration here:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/making-it-right.htm

yvette
15-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Depends on the bun....size of and if he has 3 legs or 4???

Elena
15-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Well Mini and Mischa just escaped :evil: from my bedroom and I counted out three hops to be approx 5 foot.

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 03:33 PM
That looked easy, maybe I'll mark out feet with some tape on the carpet and video :D

We should all have a go then upload um to youtube so people can see how far different bunnies hop. I wonder how Scamp compares, his legs are quite long compared to a pet bun. I bet lops do shorter hops!

clutterydrawer
15-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Dip their paws in paint, set them loose, measure resulting footprints.

( I am joking, before anyone throws a hissy fit :) )

Fluffers
15-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Bouncer & Savannah: 3 'small' hops = 5-6 feet
Paw Paw: 3 'small' hops = 5 feet

:D:wave:

Santa
15-06-2011, 06:22 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v117/AlisonA/?action=view&current=008.mp4

About 12 seconds in, Mavis hops from one end to the other of this 8ft run in 4 hops, so that would make it about 2ft per hop :)

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Scamp does about 18" per hop ... video to follow... I may also upload the other half hour of hour takes with me chasing a rabbit in every direction accept along the measuring tape :lol:

Elena
15-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Scamp does about 18" per hop ... video to follow... I may also upload the other half hour of hour takes with me chasing a rabbit in every direction accept along the measuring tape :lol:

Ooh yes, please upload that bit :lol:

Pebblesetc
15-06-2011, 08:12 PM
4 hops gets Buckley 4ft. I measured against one panel of his pen, each panel is 4ft in length :D
But that's if he is just going "*hop* oooh a piece of hay I dragged onto the carpet and forgot about! *hop* oooooh something shiny!!!"

When he goes for it he can leap about 7 ft in one bound :shock:

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 09:29 PM
7' in a single bound is pretty impressive :shock:

This is the 7 seconds of so of video where he actually went along the tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2134MEdDI

Still editing the outtakes :lol:

If anyone else manages pics/video measuring hops then I'll link them in Scamp's next blog post.

poppymoon
15-06-2011, 09:32 PM
i've been trying to do this all day!!! essie has been binky mad outside and eric has barely moved (apart from the odd shuffle):roll:

Tamsin
15-06-2011, 09:34 PM
i've been trying to do this all day!!! essie has been binky mad outside and eric has barely moved (apart from the odd shuffle):roll:

:lol::lol::lol:

Pebblesetc
15-06-2011, 09:41 PM
7' in a single bound is pretty impressive :shock:

This is the 7 seconds of so of video where he actually went along the tape: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu2134MEdDI

Still editing the outtakes :lol:

If anyone else manages pics/video measuring hops then I'll link them in Scamp's next blog post.

When Buckley gets going he GOES haha.

KarenM
15-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I'm impressed at your determination to get a video Tamsin. :thumb:

I got as far as working out that it takes Alfie 5 hops to travel in a circle around Bubbles - it's just a shame I don't know how big the circle is. :lol::lol::lol: They both take pretty tiny hops though, so I don't think it'll be anywhere near 18".

Tamsin
16-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I don't think bunnies and straight lines go together very well :lol:

Here are the outtakes I promised, including a flop :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQadUzzg0j0

Elena
16-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Here are the outtakes I promised, including a flop :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQadUzzg0j0

That was hilarious!! :lol::lol::lol:

thumps_
16-06-2011, 01:17 AM

:lol::lol::lol: Thank you so much for the video.:love: I think Scamp has found some new games to play. I love to see bunnies being bunnies. :D Mine will try to get rid of anything which shouldn't be on the floor too.

Thumper is 51cm nose to base of tail lying down normally & free range indoors with very strictly supervised garden free range x2 per day.

Hop distance depends on how fast he want's to get somewhere. Varies between 18cm or less if he's pottering around, to about a meter if he's in a hurry outside, or just enjoying giving his legs (& back) a good stretch. :?
(Fortunately he'll follow a moving target :lol:)

Pebblesetc
16-06-2011, 01:58 AM

:love::love::love: Awwww, bunny says "no, no, it goes this way **squiggle**"

Love the flop at the end, what a happy bunny :D

KarenM
16-06-2011, 06:14 AM
:lol::lol::lol: Brilliant outtakes; I love it when Scamp starts the rearrange all the markers and tape to his liking. :lol::lol:

Fluffers
16-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Superb footage. Scamp is just :love::love: