• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OK, I Admit That I AGREE With Breeding These Rabbits

To play the 'devil's advocate', what's the point of breeding them?:? From what I understand, the rabbits are almost extinct due to lack of habitat. Unless they get their habitat back (from the farmers) they won't survive. :(

So beautiul!:love: Its so refreshing to hear of Science people actually trying to help rabbits even if these are a different kind of rabbit.

To play the 'devil's advocate', what's the point of breeding them?:? From what I understand, the rabbits are almost extinct due to lack of habitat. Unless they get their habitat back (from the farmers) they won't survive. :(

They will be released into *protected* areas- ie areas where the terrain has to remain in it's natural state

http://www.oregonzoo.org/Conservation/pygmyrabbit.htm

I think it's fantastic that they, the conservation workers, are repairing the damage other humans have caused.

Aww, they're adorable! :love: Good luck to them!

Predators aren't the only issue. Conventional mating is difficult because female pygmy rabbits will only briefly tolerate the presence of males, and often fight with them, the scientists say.

:shock: A breed of rabbits that don't breed like rabbits?! :shock:

I've got mixed feelings about this, I'm not sure it's a good idea or not and kind of defeating the object if mixing breeds etc I'll perch on the fence on this one.:?

Back