• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

shaking head?

Anna xx

Warren Scout
Sat watching the bunnies & smudge's head is shaking.. Come to think of it she's been like that since we've had her, I think it's just where she is nervous afterall she is only 8 weeks n I've only had her & her sister 4 days and she is the more nervous of the 2.. She is eating drinking hopping about fine seems to be growing nicely is this something I should be worries about first I thought it eas just where she is twitching her nose.. Could it be??

Buns can shake their heads for many reasons. I'm not an absolute expert, so hopefully someone else will come along who knows more, but there are a couple of reasons I can think of:

- Sometimes buns shake their heads when they are happy or excited, like before they do a binky (at least mine do :lol:)

- Another reason could be a problem with their ears, for example itchy mites or something like that. Perhaps you could have a little look down her ears to see if you can see any redness etc. She may need to see the vet.

Hopefully someone else may have some other ideas too.

Last edited:
Shaking how? Like a dog, shaking its ears? That could be mites or just a happy thing. Shaking as in vibrating? That's a little odd. The first thing that comes to mind is eyesight. I wonder if she's scanning if she can't see very well?

Buns can shake their heads for many reasons. I'm not an absolute expert, so hopefully someone else will come along who knows more, but there are a couple of reasons I can think of:

- Sometimes buns shake their heads when they are happy or excited, like before they do a binky (at least mine do :lol:)

- Another reason could be a problem with their ears, for example itchy mites or something like that. Perhaps you could have a little look down her ears to see if you can see any redness etc. She may need to see the vet.

Hopefully someone else may have some other ideas too.

These were the two things I was going to say. Nutmeg will run off shaking her head when she's been naughty :roll: cos she finds it tremendous fun but by the same token one of the symptoms of Mischa's ear infection a few months ago was him shaking his head. Mischa looked different cos you could almost tell something was troubling him and the way he did it was as if he was trying to get something out.

pop bunny to vet to make sure no infection also see if you can see any build up of wax or scabbing in the ears to indicate mites, also could just be a fun thing, but always best to get avet to check it out. x

Back