• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Effects of far too many pellets?

chul

Staff member
While I was away, someone fed the buns about 2 dog bowls FULL of pellets, to the point he put more in the next day and they didnt eat them :shock:

They have had excess ceocs. (spelling?!) and I immediatly took the bowl full off them on day 2 and fed hay and VERY limited pellets.

Will they be ok now?

This once happened to me. i went away for a week, picked Poppy up when I got back (my Mum was looking after her), and I couldn't believe how podgy she was. My Mum had been giving her two full rabbit bowls a day all to herself.

She was fine-just not happy when she went back to her usual portions :lol:

I'd personally go hay only for a few days to ensure the gut becomes more stable.

I have only given them about 10 pellets, which is less than normal, along with unlimited hay. I thought cutting out pellets full stop wouldnt be fair or healthy for them?

I have only given them about 10 pellets, which is less than normal, along with unlimited hay. I thought cutting out pellets full stop wouldnt be fair or healthy for them?

I'd cut them completely for a few days personally, it wont do them any damage.

It'll help their guts :)

I'm of the opinion that cutting out the pellets completely when they're used to them is as drastic as giving too many. It's a diet change. I would just go back to normal. But that's just me. :)

Go by their poop, if it goes back to normal then a few pellets is fine, if it seems to be taking longer to revert back go for cutting them out completely for awhile. I don't think 10 pellets between two is going to make much difference though :)

I'm of the opinion that cutting out the pellets completely when they're used to them is as drastic as giving too many. It's a diet change. I would just go back to normal. But that's just me. :)

That is what I thought too, they should be slowly took off them not just stopped?

Thanks for all replies, I will just keep a very close eye for another few days

Go by their poop, if it goes back to normal then a few pellets is fine, if it seems to be taking longer to revert back go for cutting them out completely for awhile. I don't think 10 pellets between two is going to make much difference though :)

The poo is pretty much at normal now, I only noticed the excess ones on Sunday evening

The poo is pretty much at normal now, I only noticed the excess ones on Sunday evening

If they're back to normal then I would increase back up to their normal amount of pellets over the next couple of days. :D

Alfie and Bubbles always get a double portion of breakfast on Saturdays - dh feeds them when he gets up and his version of a handful is much different to mine. :roll::lol:

While I was away, someone fed the buns about 2 dog bowls FULL of pellets, to the point he put more in the next day and they didnt eat them :shock:

They have had excess ceocs. (spelling?!) and I immediatly took the bowl full off them on day 2 and fed hay and VERY limited pellets.

Will they be ok now?

How annoying and worrying. If people are going to look after your pets whilst you are away, why don't they feed them as you request.:roll:

How annoying and worrying. If people are going to look after your pets whilst you are away, why don't they feed them as you request.:roll:

I wasnt annoyed and I blame myself for not telling him fully. I thought he knew! :lol:

when i picked my 2 up on sunday, they didn't seem interested in pellets or veg but when i looked at the poops i could tell why - they'd obviously had too much of the above so not eaten so much hay.

nasty mean mummy is back now though so its hay all the way and back to their 'normal' diet.

just hoping that it hasn't had a detrimental effect of teefs.......

Back