• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

matts got a scab on his ear - u/d - no scab and a bald patch!

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
i've just found a scab on matts ear, at the base of the ear. it's dried blood now obviously but it wasn't there yesterday. :?

he has always had a lump there and it was tested and the results came back saying it was just dead skin and tissue.

i don't know what would have caused this. he hasn't been scratching or anything, no more than normal and if anything he has been really happy and lively lately. :?

we were at the vets just under three weeks ago and everything was ok.

should i take him to the vets or just let it heal as it's started to anyway?

Last edited:
If he is ok in himself and nothing about the way he is acting has changed...then I would leave him be :)

he is ok now but he has been a bit 'off'. we thought it was because he had his vhd vacc at the vets and was taking a while to get back to normal. he's been fine lately though. :?

i can see i'm going to end up at the vets again. i won't settle now until he's been checked over. :(

just checked him over properly and there is a big lump and then in the middle of that there is the scab. it's about a cm maybe. o/h just looked aswell and we both always kiss and stroke his ears and we both know it wasn't there yesterday.

i'm wondering if matt has scratched in the night and taken his little lump off that he has there and made it bleed. but then it seems too big and thick a scab to have just been a little scratch.

he seems ok but i'm worried now. :(

it looks really bad now on the pics -

DSCF1025.jpg

DSCF1024.jpg

DSCF1018.jpg

could this happen overnight? we both think we would have felt it yesterday if it was there.

any ideas what it could be?

just to update - we are off to the vets tomorrow.

matt has just eaten his veggie, he's running round and seems perfectly fine which is good. i just hope this is nothing serious.

does anyone have any ideas what this could be?

this morning it actually looks a bit better if anything. i thought maybe mites at first and matts scratched too much.. but he isn't scratching or pulling at his ears or anything.. :?

he's also fine again in himself today.

eta: changed my mind about the mites. they're both scratching their ears now. just been watching them and they're making me itch just watching! bet it was that stupid cheap sainsburys hay. :roll: and i hope the piggies don't get them now aswell. :(

Last edited:
thought i'd update, even though i'm talking to myself! :lol:

we've been to the vets and he said it's a bite on matts ear!! :shock: he thinks bisc might have nipped matt (by accident of course ;)) ... but it's healing nicely but if it starts to get crusty or when the scab starts to fall off and the skin is a bit red/or it gets any pus, then i have to bathe it twice a day with warm salt water, and i've got some baytril aswell so we have it here incase he needs that.

they also had a nail trim.

really happy it's nothing serious. :)

Glad to hear everything was alright at the vets and hope his ear clears up soon.

xx :)

Great news!!!!!!!!!

High fives to Matt!!!!!

Naughty Bisc!!!

missed this, glad its nothing serious and is healing well

thank you :)

matt was so angry though about going to the vets. he isn't normally that bad but he had been agitated all day and was furious! :shock: when we got back he refused to forgive me! :shock: he was shaking so much in the carrier there and back. :(

he's rested since we got back and even this morning i can tell he still isn't happy with me :(

i feel so sorry for him because he's snuffly, agitated, got a scabby ear now, it wasn't that long ago he had stasis aswell, and he must be feeling a bit rubbish right now. :(

poor matt. he's not himself. :( he seems quite agitated. his scab is healing well, with a little crusting round the edge. but the overall lump is alot less red now. but he just seems a bit down with it all and he keeps shaking his head and trying not to scratch it. :(

he's snuffly anyway, and the trip to the vets and his scab annoying him has just taken it out of him. :(

i hate seeing him not happy. :(

I'm sure he'll pick up soon poor thing.

When Apollo came her he had a complete hole in his ear where he'd been bitten but surprisingly it healed really well. Only sign now is that the fur has grown back white even though he's black.

I'm sure he'll pick up soon poor thing.

When Apollo came her he had a complete hole in his ear where he'd been bitten but surprisingly it healed really well. Only sign now is that the fur has grown back white even though he's black.

thanks. he's perked up a bit now after playing outside which he loves. it seems to be healing well so that's good.

how strange the fur growing back white! bet it looks cute though :love:

poor matt. he's not himself. :( he seems quite agitated. his scab is healing well, with a little crusting round the edge. but the overall lump is alot less red now. but he just seems a bit down with it all and he keeps shaking his head and trying not to scratch it. :(

he's snuffly anyway, and the trip to the vets and his scab annoying him has just taken it out of him. :(

i hate seeing him not happy. :(

We know stress makes snuffles flare up badly, im sure thats all it is and he'll be back on form soon.

Thinking of you and bisc & matt.

matt cheered up for a bit yesterday but now he's not quite right again. last night he ate his veg, but then not much hay, he didn't get excited when o/h changed the litter trays, and he didn't want any of the plate of dried herbs they have at bed time. :(

he's eaten some hay and probiotics this morning and was fine being nebulised but he looks tired and he's snuffly. he just wants to rest alot. :(

i've upped his metacam and i think from tonight i will start to bathe his scab twice a day aswell.

Oh bless Matt!!!!
He's having a hard time of it isn't he?
You may have mentioned it but are he and Bisc outdoor buns?
My buns are moulting at the moment but I'm a little worried their coats are thinning out while it's going cool over night. Would Matt benefit from a Snugglesafe? Maybe keep him warm and help him get himself better?
Still give his some high 5s from me as he's really fighting whatever's going on isn't he? xxxx

Back