• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Early developer - when to neuter??

dbowes

Warren Scout
Hi,

We recently adopted a new baby bun Jude who we want to bond with our pair Jasper and Jessica once he is neutered so are keen to do it asap as keeping them seperate isnt ideal space wise.

I know around 4 months is normal for males to be neutered but what is the earliest they can be done?

His wee is quite smelly and we felt what appeared to be lumps. Does this suggest he could be neutered early? He is only 10 weeks so i know he is too young now but just curious to know.

He hasnt had any jabs yet so we can get the vet to check once we get round to it!

Thanks

Dan

He can be neutered as soon as his plums have dropped, usually at about 14-16 weeks. Personally I would not neuter a Buck before 12 weeks even if he were to be an 'early developer'.

He will remain hormonal for a few weeks after his neuter too, so you will need to wait a while before attempting to bond him in with your other 2 Rabbits.

Richard Saunders gives the general guideline that as long as the bunny is healthy and at least 1kg 12 weeks onwards is fine.

He can be neutered as soon as his plums have dropped, usually at about 14-16 weeks. Personally I would not neuter a Buck before 12 weeks even if he were to be an 'early developer'.

He will remain hormonal for a few weeks after his neuter too, so you will need to wait a while before attempting to bond him in with your other 2 Rabbits.

Thanks, I will wait 2 weeks before he gets his jabs, he is a house rabbit so will be fine, then see what the vet says about neutering him.

Yep will wait at least 2 weeks before bonding!

Thanks, I will wait 2 weeks before he gets his jabs, he is a house rabbit so will be fine, then see what the vet says about neutering him.

Yep will wait at least 2 weeks before bonding!

Please let us know how the bonding goes! Out of curiosity what sex are the bunnies that are already bonded? I was highly advised to go for two females and a male but would really like to know how two males and a female get on as a trio. :wave:

Sorry just spotted this, we have a male/female pair. We opted for another male as males are considered to have better temperament and this was certainly the case with ours! After reading more about bonding trios i too have read that a female is easier to add to a male/female pair

Hey, just wanted to add that usually it takes 6 weeks for the male to become infertile after the neuter (not sure if this is the case when its done so young though), and he is likely to still be hormonal too, so I'd wait at least 6 weeks before bonding :)

My bun was hormonal for around 3 months after!

takes 6 weeks for the male to become infertile after the neuter (not sure if this is the case when its done so young though)

6 weeks is correct but I think jasper and jessica are both already spayed/neutered.

I'd probably wait 3 weeks until bun was healed, then see what his behaviour is like. If still hormonal I'd wait, If I was confident bun was settling I'd probably try it then.

Sorry just spotted this, we have a male/female pair. We opted for another male as males are considered to have better temperament and this was certainly the case with ours! After reading more about bonding trios i too have read that a female is easier to add to a male/female pair

Personally although my existing trio is male, female, female I've usually found its the females that cause all the probs. I much prefer bonding boys but maybe thats just me!

Back