• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Ideas

fluffybunny82

Young Bun
Hi,
I've got a Mini Rex male and just got a Lion Head female, both house rabbits, and I'm thinking they'll need more space as she gets bigger. At the moment I've got two 120cm Pets At Home cages, one on top of the other, they are joined by a ladder I put through a hole I cut in. Is this enough space? I can only find 3 tier ones bigger than this but many say bigger bunnies struggle with getting through the ladder spaces (to be honest she just about gets through it now). I've seen some people make homes out of dog crates, has anyone tried this? I work long days but they come out whenever I'm home evening and weekends. Just need some inspiration before I go crazy looking at all the hutches/cages online. It has to look tidy too to stop my house proud boyfriend going mad ;) I love my bunnies and just want them to be happy.
Jeni xx

Mine have had a mesh storage cube panel cage and a dog crate in the past but I've personally found the best option to be bunny proofing a room. The recommended area now is 60 sq ft so you'll never get that much with a cage. :)

I have a 4ft x 2ft dog crate permanantly attached to a 6ft x 2ft pen which works fine. I keep it in the hallway (which is luckily quite wide!) They get let out into the living room when I'm home. I'm not sure any setup for indoor buns would stay 'tidy' though - not with hay and litter about!

I missed that bit :oops: Again I've found the easiest way to keep it tidy is to bunny proof. With cages hay and litter gets down the sides. I have a lino floor which I sweep once or twice a day. There are one or two corners that trap dust but I take the hoover tube thingy to these once or twice a month.

Here's some pics of my indoor set up using NIC cubes and correx from B&Q, I've made upgrades since these were taken like putting a roof on and adding a hidey house and taking the old grey cage tray out etc. It's quite large, over a metre wide and takes up a third of my lounge but I've got used to it, it's become part of the furniture now. I still get bits of hay all over the floor where they go in and out the door but I've got one of those handheld hoovers which keeps on top of that. Hope this gives you some ideas.

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

Here's some pics of my indoor set up using NIC cubes and correx from B&Q, I've made upgrades since these were taken like putting a roof on and adding a hidey house and taking the old grey cage tray out etc. It's quite large, over a metre wide and takes up a third of my lounge but I've got used to it, it's become part of the furniture now. I still get bits of hay all over the floor where they go in and out the door but I've got one of those handheld hoovers which keeps on top of that. Hope this gives you some ideas.

IMG_5317.jpg

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

wow that looks awesome, and so tidy! :shock::shock:

really really impressed... :D

Back