• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

vocal rabbit!?

lucy24

Mama Doe
My two previous rabbits only made a noise when they were cross with me- grunting, however Buttons my new bunny is extremely vocal! is this normal? He grinds his teeth alot when resting, being stroked etc... and makes this really weird sound when he's cleaning- i cant even begin to explain the sound lol i keep thinking something is wrong but he's eating, pooing and doing everything else normally.does anyone have a vocal bunny?:wave:

Oh he's a beauty!!!!
The chattering when stroked is a little un-nerving isn't it? Think of it like a cat purring.
All the buns I've had have tended not to be too vocal but my new chap is chattier than the others. I still haven't worked out what some of what he's saying is, I think some of it's moaning when I do something he doesn't like!!!!!As you say, if he's eating ,pooing,wee-ing and is active then he sounds like he's doing ok!!!!
Enjoy your gorgeous man!!!

Is the noise when cleaning himself a squeaking noise?

If so then you may want to get a vet to check his chest. My Nutmeg wheezes and squeaks when cleaning or sometimes at rest. She has a lung weakness from her previous life before she came and lived with us.

the noise is almost like a noise a guniea pig makes- so yes i guess a squeaking-im seing the vet on friday for his vaccs so will ask about it then.thanks

the noise is almost like a noise a guniea pig makes- so yes i guess a squeaking-im seing the vet on friday for his vaccs so will ask about it then.thanks

The vet should check things like that before the vacc anyway but probably a good idea to mention it as well. :)

Nutmeg always squeaks at the vets due to the stress so you might find he gives the vet a demonstration!

Back