• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RU'ers what is your bunnies general everyday diet ?

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
I think many of you may know, my bunnies diet until I joined RU was huge endless amounts of muesli and not that much hay. Also far too much unlimited vegetables.

Thankfully Sunshine on his new diet is nearly 750 grams lighter and back to normal weight.

Now SS pellets. (ok still a bit too much, but limited) This week excel, as I have a opened bag left.

Unlimited hay from a bale.
Oat hay
Crunchies, probably a few too many:oops:
I carrot, 1 celery stick
Parsley - from a pot, a few big handfuls.
YIPPEE - Sunshine now loves basil. Taken a long time.
Readigrass
excel herbage (not keen)
herbal garden
sometimes kale and greens and peeled cored apple

They do not like banana

What is your bunnies diet ?

I see many interesting things like bramble, rose petals, plantian, dried apple leaves etc.

Charlies is quite limited as he is petrified of fruit and most veg.
Milly just gets whatever fruit/veg I'm having if it's bunny safe!

I give a small handful a day to 2 buns, but 2 small handfuls to the other two.
Hay hay and more hay,they free range so nom what they fancy,veg and fruit alternative days.Specially Lils as gotta keep an eye to her bum.
They do get bunny sweeties 3 or 4 times a week.

Charlies is quite limited as he is petrified of fruit and most veg.
Milly just gets whatever fruit/veg I'm having if it's bunny safe!

Not surprised about Milly, she is always in your bin :lol:

Is there any thing Charlie likes that is moist ? I have a chinnie who hates all moist food, until I introduced parsley a few months ago.

I give a small handful a day to 2 buns, but 2 small handfuls to the other two.
Hay hay and more hay,they free range so nom what they fancy,veg and fruit alternative days.Specially Lils as gotta keep an eye to her bum.
They do get bunny sweeties 3 or 4 times a week.

:shock: What is a bunny sweety ? sounds good

A little sprinkle of excel pellets

tons o'hay (from farm)

Fresh food - dandelions, plantains, rose petals and leaves, nasturtiums, apples, strawberry, and blackberry leaves, vine leaves, shepherd's purse yarrow, mint, parsley, lemon balm, lavender, marjoram, coriander, hawthorn, hazel......obviously they don;t get ALL these every day, just a selection. Kale and celery too in winter when there's less fresh stuff to gather.

They get a sprinkling of dried plants when the fancy takes me and occasional treats are fruit or a fenugreek crunchie (abotu once a week)

They get poch hay when I feel rich :wave:

Smoo has a normal, healthy bunny diet of tonnes of hay and a few excel pellets. She has a spring greens leaf that's as big as her and usually some dandelions if I have some. Otherwise she gets another veg like broccoli, celery or similar. Depends what I have in. She also has a pot of grass and dandelions outside which she often forgets about. :lol:
I also get her herbs and had some parsley and coriander growing on my windowsill until she ate them. And she gets fruit as a treat. A grape or two or a strawberry or apple or anything bunny friendly we have in.

Grim on the other hand....
He has mountains of soaked excel junior pellets and bread. :love:
And sometimes porridge oats. And a few raisins.

Last edited:
Both have:
AM - 3 pellets, soaked in water
Pinch Burns Meadow Mix & Dandelion
1 large spearmint leaf
2 basil leaves

Same for PM.

I also give no more than 1 leaf of Spring Greens and 2 pieces of dried plantain a day (but thats not everyday)
They have access to unlimited Meadow hay I get from the local farm shop.

Pie cannot have anything else due to her gut problem and everything HAS to be wet or soaked for her.
Obie will occasionally get 3 bites of my apple for a treat.

A little sprinkle of excel pellets

tons o'hay (from farm)

Fresh food - dandelions, plantains, rose petals and leaves, nasturtiums, apples, strawberry, and blackberry leaves, vine leaves, shepherd's purse yarrow, mint, parsley, lemon balm, lavender, marjoram, coriander, hawthorn, hazel......obviously they don;t get ALL these every day, just a selection. Kale and celery too in winter when there's less fresh stuff to gather.

They get a sprinkling of dried plants when the fancy takes me and occasional treats are fruit or a fenugreek crunchie (abotu once a week)

They get poch hay when I feel rich :wave:

Thats very interesting. I wondered about coriander, but I know it is from the parsley family. Have tried strawberry with the bunnies and chins in the past. None of them were interested. I fed far too many crunchies, about 4 each a day. :oops: I love them running up to me.

Both have:
AM - 3 pellets, soaked in water
Pinch Burns Meadow Mix & Dandelion
1 large spearmint leaf
2 basil leaves

Same for PM.

I also give no more than 1 leaf of Spring Greens and 2 pieces of dried plantain a day (but thats not everyday)
They have access to unlimited Meadow hay I get from the local farm shop.

Pie cannot have anything else due to her gut problem and everything HAS to be wet or soaked for her.
Obie will occasionally get 3 bites of my apple for a treat.

I must still overfed.

I give Sunshine a 3rd of a basil plant now I know he loves it.

Used to give 2 whole greens. Now about 2 handfuls, of chopped up greens.

Sorry to hear Pie has gut problems.

Yea, she has a deformed Cecum which causes almost chronic GI Stasis and/or bloat.
I need to find ways of (safely) getting pie to put on weight though - she is loosing it and I don't know what to do about it :(
Yea she cannot have any veg at all or fruits. She HAS to be on a limited diet but needs to put on weight - vicious circle :roll: :(

Mine have veg on a morning, usually spring greens, kale and the occasional carrot, hay all day long, and pellets on a night (prob a few too many :oops:).

They do get a variety of veg and herbs depending what I find in the supermarket that week too.

Yea, she has a deformed Cecum which causes almost chronic GI Stasis and/or bloat.
I need to find ways of (safely) getting pie to put on weight though - she is loosing it and I don't know what to do about it :(
Yea she cannot have any veg at all or fruits. She HAS to be on a limited diet but needs to put on weight - vicious circle :roll: :(

Poor Pie. Must be a worry.

Loads of hay from a farm bale. About a tablespoon each of Exel pellets (I gave them too much at one point and they got rather fat over winter :oops: ) in the morning. And right now a large handfull of fresh grass with dandelions, plantain or goose grass. In winter they get spring greens, broccoli, cauliflower leaves etc... Poor babies get no fancy hay or treats because I am a bad mommy.

Am I not feeding my bunnies enough? :shock::shock:

I give them:

Egg cup full of Nuggets each in the morning

Unlimited amounts of hay throughout the day

A piece of broccoli on an evening

Then they may have the odd treat - a bit of banana or apple but not every day.

Am I not feeding my bunnies enough? :shock::shock:

I give them:

Egg cup full of Nuggets each in the morning

Unlimited amounts of hay throughout the day

A piece of broccoli on an evening

Then they may have the odd treat - a bit of banana or apple but not every day.

I think it is a case of me still overfeeding.

I tried an eggcup.Lily went down to 353g!!!!!!!!!!!! Never again!!!!!!!!
She was cold,thin....almost PTS by Ian.:shock:
I dont reccommend an egg cup at all.
She needs
LOTS of calories because of her disability.

Loads of hay from a farm bale. About a tablespoon each of Exel pellets (I gave them too much at one point and they got rather fat over winter :oops: ) in the morning. And right now a large handfull of fresh grass with dandelions, plantain or goose grass. In winter they get spring greens, broccoli, cauliflower leaves etc... Poor babies get no fancy hay or treats because I am a bad mommy.

I am very surprised that with all my over feeding only Sunshine piled on the the weight.

I must still give about a mug full of pellets per day for 2. :oops:

I tried an eggcup.Lily went down to 353g!!!!!!!!!!!! Never again!!!!!!!!
She was cold,thin....almost PTS by Ian.:shock:
I dont reccommend an egg cup at all.
She needs
LOTS of calories because of her disability.

Cutie-pie was underweight when I got her so tend to let her eat and raid pellet. Its been 4 months and even though she has put on weight she is still under.

Also think if Sunshine was used to huge bowls of muesli an egg cup is not going to satisfy him. It doesn't so he gets more and still lost weight.

Back