• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help needed! Baby rabbit.

Mothball

Young Bun
Hi all

Needing some help here - Today while sitting in the park I found a baby rabbit. Once I found it, I stayed around for a while but there was no mum or siblings. It isn;t a wild rabbit I think as it;s white and brown with teeny ears.

Right, my questions are, how old is it? And how do I care for it? It is fully furred and has eyes open, though doesn't look like they've been open long. Would it still be drinking milk at this age or what? If so what kind is best to feed it and how much/how often?

If it isn't drinking milk, what do I feed it? I've never owned rabbits before so I'm a massive newbie to all this!

Help!

Eek....don't have answers to your questions but someone will be along soon to help!!!!!!
You'll need a speciffic sort of milk and prob need to syringe feed but someone will be more help xxx

I have a 5 ml syringe/droppery type thing anyway, and I have lactol here if that would do. It is currently in a small animal carrier with some bedding. I've hand reared animals before so this is nothing new, I;ve just enver had rabbits before!

I'm bumping you!!!!!!!!!!!!
I THINK lactol is ok from reading other peoples threads but hopefully someone better at this will pop in soon...........

Thankyou both :D

Just got some dried grass from the garden and washed it and he/she nibbled it a little bit and seemed fairly enthusiastic about it, which is a good sign right? Will go and get some meadow hay tomorrow :)

As Emmie said - post some pictures of the rabbit - it'll help a lot with advice on age and consequently feeding etc.

I think I remember goats milk being ok for baby rabbits, but cows milk is a huge no no.
Can I suggest you ring a good wildlife rescue tomorrow to get as much good advice as possible.
A fabulous one near me is called Vale Wildlife (in Evesham) who would be worth a call if you don't have a local one.

You can't go wrong with hay/dried grass. If it's wild then you'll want to offer it grass, dandelions that sort of thing as well but if it's domestic these could be really bad for it at such a young age.

Good luck though.

Looks domestic and very young, only a few weeks. Poor thing. Might be best to ring a vet to see if they have any milk substitute? Or can recommend one. Just offer lots of hay and you could buy some junior pellets and offer a few day so he or she can get used to them.

It's hard to sex this young... you might have to wait for that one. :)

A heat pad would be good if you can buy one, but your chest is an excellent substitute. :)

Oh my goodness....he/she is utterly beautiful!!!!!
I would say domestic rather than wildy!!!!
Where abouts are you and we can shout out for rescues/rabbit savvy vets near you.
I love my buns cuddling up on my chest but theu are much much bigger!!! (the buns not my chest!!!!)

I have lactose free milk here anyway - Being lactose intolerant and all that. Tried him (He is a him now until further notice) with a bit of lactol and he seemed to enjoy it as well as munching on a little dried grass :D

He is currently in a small animal carrier with a heatmat under half of it. and lots of bedding. Unfortunately my vet isn't the best, I already rang them and they sorta went 'herp derp we don't know much about hand rearing baby rabbits' >_<

Shall ring a wilflife sanctuary tomorrow after I go buy some hay - Is any particular sort best?

Also I am in Bath - We have Bath cats and dogs home near here but dunno how rabbit savvy they are. Will call them tomorrow.

I have lactose free milk here anyway - Being lactose intolerant and all that. Tried him (He is a him now until further notice) with a bit of lactol and he seemed to enjoy it as well as munching on a little dried grass :D

He is currently in a small animal carrier with a heatmat under half of it. and lots of bedding. Unfortunately my vet isn't the best, I already rang them and they sorta went 'herp derp we don't know much about hand rearing baby rabbits' >_<

Shall ring a wilflife sanctuary tomorrow after I go buy some hay - Is any particular sort best?

sounds like your doing okay!! only think does it have acsess to water? as my Gracie started dinking from a normal water bottle at 4 weeks old!

where abouts are you located? x

Off the shelf may be Timothy?
There's plenty of fancy hay you can buy on line but I'ld raid P@H for some Timothy hay....
You should call him Lucky....he is very lucky to be alive let alone getting such fab care from you xx

Back