• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Highgate Cemetery

luvabun

Warren Veteran
I went for the first time yesterday and loved it. We did the guided tour of the West Cemetery and learnt so much - George Wombwell was a nasty piece of work in the Victorian era :evil:

highgate016.jpg

highgate004.jpg

highgate020.jpg

highgate030.jpg

highgate037.jpg

highgate041.jpg

highgate049.jpg

highgate050.jpg

highgate052.jpg

Lovely! I have 3 albums of my photography at Highgate. I love that cemetery, there are some beautiful grave stones there.

Gertie and Pie - yes interesting and beautiful in a macabre sort of way. I want to go back in the autumn and the winter as I'm sure it will have a different atmosphere in the different seasons.

Does the last pic say Karl Marx?

These are great pictures, thanks for sharing. :)
:wave: Yes it is Karl Marx. His is probably the most famous grave there and everyone goes to look at it but when I saw it, there wasn't a sense of awe, but oh OK :oops:

:wave: Yes it is Karl Marx. His is probably the most famous grave there and everyone goes to look at it but when I saw it, there wasn't a sense of awe, but oh OK :oops:

I thought it looked like him. I love cemeteries. I find them full of history and fascinating. I think you should go back in the autumn and winter. That place looks amazing.

I thought it looked like him. I love cemeteries. I find them full of history and fascinating. I think you should go back in the autumn and winter. That place looks amazing.
We had a really good guide for the West Cemetery as well. They're all volunteers and passionate about the subject. It gave me a real insight into the Victorian Era and has given me a thirst for more knowledge :)

I want to go to Kensal Green Cemetery as well now.

I've wanted to go to Greyfriars in Edinburgh ever since I read a book about the McKenzie Poltergeist. They're just such eerily peaceful places. It appears I'm not alone in my cemetery fascination anyway. :lol:

Wow great pics Jill!

My best friend Anna used to live very close by and we used to walk past one S side of it. I wish I'd gone in and had a look now!!!

Great photos, really captures the atmosphere of it!

That stone with the word DEAD carved out of it, looks out of place, like it is really modern/art deco like, compared to all the others in the cemetery, I've never seen anything like it before and can't imagine what time period it is from. Weirdly I find it quite unnerving!!!

glad im not the only one :oops: fab photos

Im not good in huge crowds so i take Ameila to my local one, to actualy play, ( nothing like a 11 month old trying to wake the dead bless her ) it hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee full of huge statues and rabbits of course, wildlife trees etc

gorgeous on a hot day and you dont hear the really busy main road once you walk through the gates its surreal

I do meet living people, got chatting to a few looking for their ancesters,

I went to Highgate Cemetery 27 years ago to take black and white photographs, it's a great place for photos.

Back