• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

10ftx4ft dog kennel or 10ftx4ft aviary....

bluebunny

Wise Old Thumper
I cant decied what to get? Help:lol::lol:
Do i get a dog kennel or an aviary and buy a small kennel to put inside for shelter?

I have a 10ft by 6ft kennel and run and I love it, I went for one which is high enough to stand up in though, I also have one solid side so it is not so open

I would try and find some on display so you can go and see them and get a feel for what you prefer

I agree with going to look around.

Generally, I'd go with an aviary because they're usually walk in height, whereas kennels are usually a bit too short. When I was looking I remember most being about 4.5ft at the tallest point.

If i get the aviary i know what to expect as i already have one,Its just the kennels ive not seen in the flesh, it will only be used in good weather anyway and will have a roof etc

My personal opinion is that a partially covered enclosure or low height (3ft) run is better than a 6ft high one. Rabbits feel safer if they don't feel totally exposed. If I had the option of doing it again I wouldn't have a 6ft high aviary, I would make it 3ft high and join it to the back of the shed/hutch. A kennel would be similar since it's not totally exposed.

My personal opinion is that a partially covered enclosure or low height (3ft) run is better than a 6ft high one. Rabbits feel safer if they don't feel totally exposed. If I had the option of doing it again I wouldn't have a 6ft high aviary, I would make it 3ft high and join it to the back of the shed/hutch. A kennel would be similar since it's not totally exposed.

I do agree with this. My run has no top and they do feel exposed sometimes, especially Nutmeg. We have a tarp over it one end and a big umbrella the other. Having said that I think it depends on the bunnies to some extent.

My kennel run has a roof on which means everything in the run stays almost dry, it just gets some rain blowing in from the side which is meshed, I think the bunnies do feel safer with a roof, I opted for an apex type roof as the local cats do not then sit on it and upset the bunnies

The buns i have in the aviary love it i put cardboard boxes etc in it for them to hide plus both sides are solid so only the front is exposed

Back