PDA

View Full Version : 10ftx4ft dog kennel or 10ftx4ft aviary....

bluebunny
13-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I cant decied what to get? Help:lol::lol:
Do i get a dog kennel or an aviary and buy a small kennel to put inside for shelter?

loppy ears
13-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I have a 10ft by 6ft kennel and run and I love it, I went for one which is high enough to stand up in though, I also have one solid side so it is not so open

I would try and find some on display so you can go and see them and get a feel for what you prefer

clarebear
13-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Great idea.....I was thinking about that too. Lots of height for binkies! :lol:

BattleKat
13-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree with going to look around.

Generally, I'd go with an aviary because they're usually walk in height, whereas kennels are usually a bit too short. When I was looking I remember most being about 4.5ft at the tallest point.

bluebunny
13-06-2011, 03:47 PM
If i get the aviary i know what to expect as i already have one,Its just the kennels ive not seen in the flesh, it will only be used in good weather anyway and will have a roof etc

Stator
13-06-2011, 04:10 PM
My personal opinion is that a partially covered enclosure or low height (3ft) run is better than a 6ft high one. Rabbits feel safer if they don't feel totally exposed. If I had the option of doing it again I wouldn't have a 6ft high aviary, I would make it 3ft high and join it to the back of the shed/hutch. A kennel would be similar since it's not totally exposed.

Elena
13-06-2011, 04:13 PM
My personal opinion is that a partially covered enclosure or low height (3ft) run is better than a 6ft high one. Rabbits feel safer if they don't feel totally exposed. If I had the option of doing it again I wouldn't have a 6ft high aviary, I would make it 3ft high and join it to the back of the shed/hutch. A kennel would be similar since it's not totally exposed.

I do agree with this. My run has no top and they do feel exposed sometimes, especially Nutmeg. We have a tarp over it one end and a big umbrella the other. Having said that I think it depends on the bunnies to some extent.

loppy ears
13-06-2011, 04:19 PM

My kennel run has a roof on which means everything in the run stays almost dry, it just gets some rain blowing in from the side which is meshed, I think the bunnies do feel safer with a roof, I opted for an apex type roof as the local cats do not then sit on it and upset the bunnies

bluebunny
13-06-2011, 05:32 PM
The buns i have in the aviary love it i put cardboard boxes etc in it for them to hide plus both sides are solid so only the front is exposed