• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this mesh ok?

It's hard to tell. It would depend on the thickness of it and whether the rabbits could chew through it.

I don't really know, but I thought i'd comment and not RAR. :lol:

It's hard to tell. It would depend on the thickness of it and whether the rabbits could chew through it.

I don't really know, but I thought i'd comment and not RAR. :lol:

Dad just emailed it to me and told me to check if it was suitable, so havent studdied it myself as I have no idea :oops:

19 is the minimum, for most people it will be fine but If you have a real fox prob you might want to consider a lower guage of 14 or 12.

19 is the minimum, for most people it will be fine but If you have a real fox prob you might want to consider a lower guage of 14 or 12.

Right, I see. So To be safer I should look for a lower gauge

Yep, the lower it is the better the security, but there is nothing wrong with the 19.

Would a cat be able to get through it at all? I know we have cats in the garden. Not sure about foxes :?

I wouldn't of thought so. I think my runs are 19 and we had loads of cats at our old house and none of the bunnies came to any harm.

Just make sure the mesh is stapled on the inside so no predators can pull it off.

Cat's couldn't get through 19guage galvanised wire mesh with 1/2inch x 1/2inch holes. Cats don't have strong jaws. It's foxes and dogs that have really strong jaws and might be able to get through mesh.

The fact that the holes are half inch by half inch means that it will be very strong and 19 guage is adequate.

You could get a lower guage (thicker wire) but don't go for anything with holes bigger than one inch by half inch.

Cat's couldn't get through 19guage galvanised wire mesh with 1/2inch x 1/2inch holes. Cats don't have strong jaws. It's foxes and dogs that have really strong jaws and might be able to get through mesh.

The fact that the holes are half inch by half inch means that it will be very strong and 19 guage is adequate.

You could get a lower guage (thicker wire) but don't go for anything with holes bigger than one inch by half inch.

Thank You. I didn't realise you could get diff hole sizes, I thought the gauge set the hole size as well as the wire thickness. :oops:

The holes on my runs are very small so yes I agree go for a small hole size otherwise cats could get their paws through or a small bunny could get their head stuck!

A fox got through my 19g mesh and killed my bunnies :(

That is probably an unusual case but it shows it can happen, so to be extra safe a lower guage would be preferable.

If your really worried about foxes you could add mesh in the inside and outside, like i did

:wave:

I agree - I have a double layer - one on inside and one on outside of frame. I also had guinea pigs mauled through a single layer weld mesh walk in run (many years ago) and also now go for stronger weld mesh and two layers to be on the safe side.

Back