• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fosterers: what do you do for holiday care?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I'm a new fosterer for my local RSPCA branch, and just getting to know how it all works. I was just wondering what other bunny fosterers do when they want to go on holiday. We're going away for a weekend in a few weeks time, so I've booked my two fosters into the bunny boarding I always use for my own rabbits, but at £8 a night for a space, this will cost me £48 for the weekend (my two sharing a space, and a space for each of the two single fosters) :shock:

I don't really know anyone locally who I would like to look after them. My friends aren't really bunny-savvy, and my family is about an hour away, and only half bunny-savvy :lol:.

I wouldn't expect the RSPCA to be funding the boarding. I just wondered what other fosterers do. Would it be normal for someone else at the branch to care for them? I am happy to pay for the boarding myself, but I just wondered what the norm is. I guess people probably have bunny-savvy friends...need to get me some of them!

Best thing would be to contact the RSPCA and ask what their policy is. The rescue I foster for will try and get another foster carer to take them or I put them to my place with mine. I have a friend who does boarding and I asked if the fosters could have a reduced rate as a contribution to the charity. Cheeky but you don't get if you don't ask!

Best thing would be to contact the RSPCA and ask what their policy is. The rescue I foster for will try and get another foster carer to take them or I put them to my place with mine. I have a friend who does boarding and I asked if the fosters could have a reduced rate as a contribution to the charity. Cheeky but you don't get if you don't ask!

I asked the Inspector about it and she said I just shouldn't take any fosters if I know I'm going away, but it's a bit difficult if we decide to go away for a short weekend at short notice. It was one of the things I thought about when I decided to become a fosterer, so I'm very prepared to pay for the boarding (I'd factored it into my costs), it's just that obviously if there is a cheaper way, that would be good :D

I also think I am the only rabbit fosterer for the branch.

I did wonder about asking for a reduced rate, but wasn't too sure really, as the boarder does it as her business. I will have a think :)

I asked the Inspector about it and she said I just shouldn't take any fosters if I know I'm going away, but it's a bit difficult if we decide to go away for a short weekend at short notice. It was one of the things I thought about when I decided to become a fosterer, so I'm very prepared to pay for the boarding (I'd factored it into my costs), it's just that obviously if there is a cheaper way, that would be good :D

I also think I am the only rabbit fosterer for the branch.

I did wonder about asking for a reduced rate, but wasn't too sure really, as the boarder does it as her business. I will have a think :)

That is a bit harsh. My fosters are here for as long as they need to be, I can't for see how long it will take particular rabbits to find homes and so can't guarantee not going away during the time I have them. My mum has been pressuring us to go away with her the last few years but I have managed to put her off till now when our youngest child is almost four. Would rather stay at home with the buns but hey, I need to keep everyone happy!!

Back