• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think its time (update) She has gone now :-(

ANNASBUNNIES

Warren Scout
My poor Thumper has teeth absesses for over a month now, she has been on antibiotics and I thought that the last one had cleared up, I went to see her this morning and felted a lump again. I know what it is.

I just feels it is now time to end her suffering as she can have them sorted but they will reacure (sp).

I am crying whilst writing this, but I know in my heart it needs to be done.

Xx

Last edited:
I'm sorry :(
I'm in the same boat with my Poppy :cry: She's happy in herself but the lumps in her jaw keep coming back and now there is nothing they can really do :cry:

Do what you think is right :( xx

im so sorry :( as you know i am in the same situation with my buns, i just take everyday as it comes, they are normal and happy in themselves, and go to the vets for a clean every 4 weeks is usally when they come back. Only you know your rabbit best, will be in my thoughts today xx

This happened with our house rabbit from my childhood, Chuckie. It's a really difficult time and I'm so sorry you're going through it too.
Have you spoken to your vet about the options?

xoxo

Thanks for all your replies. It is so hard because she happy in herself but I know she doesnt like her mouth being touched and poked.

My vet says she can keep cleaning them but I would have to go back every week and is it really fair on her to keep doing this to her (also the cost). She also lost her sister a few months ago so I know if I do it she will be with her again. (she does miss her)

Another vet said the same or have a operation to remove some of the infected bone but this might not cure the problem plus the cost.

Thanks for all your replies. It is so hard because she happy in herself but I know she doesnt like her mouth being touched and poked.

My vet says she can keep cleaning them but I would have to go back every week and is it really fair on her to keep doing this to her (also the cost). She also lost her sister a few months ago so I know if I do it she will be with her again. (she does miss her)

Another vet said the same or have a operation to remove some of the infected bone but this might not cure the problem plus the cost.

It's hard when it's the money side of it too :(
I totally know how you feel :( I'm convincing myself it's the right thing to do but then look at her and start welling up because she looks fine and then I convince myself there is nothing wrong with her at all. But every time she has to go back for her burring and x-rays etc it just means more pain for her and the fact that she takes about 3 months of syringe feeding to actually eat herself :( But she needs her teeth doing every 2 months :( and I don't think that's fair on her all the time but I'm still debating :(
Go through all of the pro's and con's of costs, her progress, what needs to be done all of the time and things like that.

Even if the operation was viable, would it be fair on her. I imagine having bone removed would be mighty painful. I sometimes think we go to extraordinary lengths for our pets because we dont want to lose them than because it is best for them. You know you rabbit and what she can deal with. You know she's had enough of all the poking and prodding so trust your instinct. *hugs*

I know how you are feeling I really do. Only you can make that call, you obviously love your bun very much and whatever choice you make just know it will be the right one.

im so sorry, its such a hard thing to deal with, casper and poppy only have to go to the vets around every 4 weeks casper lastest 6 weeks this time, they too cannot have the bone removal op as too much would have to be removed and there would be no jaw left, it all depends on individual buns, only you know what she can cope with, casper and poppy cope well and are happy and sit nicely on my lap when i flush them as they know it makes them feel better, they also love the vets as they have a bunny garden full of dandelions!. But she may be different, but i do know whatever dession you make will be the right one, i can tell you love her dearly, if you ever want to chat or ask anything just PM me :)

I had to have my Poppy put to sleep last Thursday it was heartbreaking but I could not let he suffer anymore. It is not easy but it is for the best xxxxxxxx Good luck xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

it's a difficult decision, but whatever you decide I'm sure it will be what's best for your bun.
sue x

I have decided that tomorrow is the day my Thumper will go to the bridge and binky free with her sister Fudge.

I couldnt make the appointment had to get my friend to do it, she is also coming with me and hubby will have the kids.

I love her so much but I know this is the right thing to do.

xx

Thanks for all your messages.

I have decided that tomorrow is the day my Thumper will go to the bridge and binky free with her sister Fudge.

I couldnt make the appointment had to get my friend to do it, she is also coming with me and hubby will have the kids.

I love her so much but I know this is the right thing to do.

xx

Thanks for all your messages.

im so so sorry you have to say goodbye, it is the most heartbraking time, but it is also the last gift you could give to her, she will be painfree and happy.

will be thinking of you both tomorrow xx

I thinks its time (update)

Hi Beccimarie, Thank you for thinking about us today, The appointment is not til this evening so spending some time with her today before we go.

Anna xx

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this. Especially sorry for the rabbit and pain she needs to go through, but I think it's the best you can do for her.
On 5th of June I saw my rabbit girl in so much pain before her death that I would rather put her to sleep.

Back