• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

babies

connor1106

New Kit
hi can anyone help my doe has had a litter of babies and i know nothing about what to do with them other than to leave them alone as if i touch the mother can eat them :( x
they are making a funny sqeaking noise is this normal xx

Hiya. Welcome to the forum :)

Was it a planned pregnancy? has the male been seperated from the female?

Your rabbit will take care of the babies herself, you just need to make sure she has a constant fresh supply of good quality hay to eat, and generally speaking i normally feed more food than normal. The babies do make little noises, thats normal and at least you know they are ok.

If you do need to check the nest (sometimes a good idea to make sure none of the kits have died in the nest), i suggest you rub your hands in the mothers toileting area (wear a latex glove or similar!) so your hands smell of the mum. As long as she is happy you can then check the babies if needed. I would however leave her to it though, unless you have a reason to worry :) x

hi thanks for your help they seem to be jumping around in the nest and sqeaking so to speak lol i have no reason to be concerned and dont really want to touch them as although she is fine with me we have only had her a short while and wouldnt want to upset her no this wasnt a planned mating and have been told that the chances are that she was pregnant when i got her as i rescued her and another which was supposed to be a doe and has since looked at pics and it is infact a buck :oops:

Oh no, Im sorry to hear that :( well done for rescuing them though :) Has mummy bun covered them well with fur etc? They should be fine. They will start to leave the nest at 2-3 weeks and will need plenty of hay/food and water from a bowl until they get used to a bottle. Is mum eating well/acting normally?

Might be worth getting your male bunny neutered, and then once mummy bun has reared the babies (they need to stay with mummy for 8 weeks) you could bond mum and dad back together. Male bunnies are still fertile for 6 weeks after neutering though so its best hes done soon x

to be honest i was very shocked at just how much fur she has put in her nest i will supply her with more hay in the morning incase she hasnt got enough but im sure she has :) she never really eats much but has a massive bowl full so its hard to tell as she wasnt really that greedy anyway xx

You need to seperate the buck froom mum and babies as he can kill the babies and get her pregnant again.

You need to seperate the buck froom mum and babies as he can kill the babies and get her pregnant again.

If they are still in together it's too late to prevent pregnancy now as a female can be reinpregnated within 2 hours of giving birth.

However yes, the male should be removed.

hi the male was never put with the female when i arrived hoem they only ever travelled to my house together they have been in seperate hutches since

my Matilda had an unexpected litter of 1!

I was panicing cos I NEVER saw Matilda feed her, but in the morning about 7am I would take Matilda out of the room and rub my hands in hay/litter and gently pick the baby up and it was clear from the little chubby belly that mum had fed her (gracie)

some people say don't touch them but it was litrally out check tummy bk in, was less than 30 seconds!

and by 2 weeks old Matilda was fine with me being around the baby, but i new matilda and could tell she was nice and relaxed around me etc!

Hi

we had an accidental litter of 6.

We did check each day (in morning) to check that all were still there and looked well fed. We rubbed our hands in her poo try first to try and smell of her.

However one thing we did do which my vet was keen on was to let mum out quite often as she seemed to get very bored and frustrated being with the babies all the time.

They only feed them once a day (at night usually) so she was fine to be let out for her usual wanders and chats with friends etc etc

Back