• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Who has had success rates with a 3?

There's lots of people on here with trios. I just adopted a third bunny and hope to start bonding in a few weeks! :wave: So I do hope some nice positive stories come along.:lol:

I currently have a trio and they love each other. My boy lost his partner in February and there was a pair of females at the rescue who were long termers who had previously been part of a foursome so I decided to give it a go and it worked like a dream :wave:

I have a trio who took a while to bond. My original trio fell in love straight away. The three I have now had to go to Alice at Windwhistle and she sorted them out. ;)

:wave: I have a trio. They have all been with different partners over their lives (due bereavements). 2 males and 1 female and she is the boss. The bonding was not plain sailing and it was the female that was the problem.

Yes, I'd also like to hear some success stories with three. Not ones that grew up together, but ones that were 2 at first and then an extra one joined? This is because I have 2 rabbits and 3 children, and the rabbits are going into their shed in two weeks' time, and I think it would be ever so cute if there could be three (or four?) instead of two!!! I've left it a bit late though: the rabbits at my local rescue aren't neutered (the female ones aren't in any case), and the other rescue seems to have a lot of male (neutered) rabbits and mixed sex pairs. I rang another rspca place last week, and the lady really put me off adding another rabbit, saying the bonding would be long and complicated, and I would have a higher chance with a female rabbit? Is that true? (mine are a boy and a girl who have been together since birth).
I really really really don't want to have two lots of rabbits, that is not an option for me at the moment. And I don't think I want to drive for hours just to collect a rabbit. Or take mine in the car for hours, they wouldn't like it. So I'm stuck kind of, and will probably end up putting my 2 in the shed and missing that lovely opportunity to add another two while they're going into neutral territory.

I had Tilly and Cheeky (both 3 now) and just before Christmas got 9 wk old Munchkin (boy, kept upstairs). The girls' bond broke after a vet stay beginning of May so I kept them all apart for a week and bonded them all together. It went well and they are all living happily together :D

I've bonded loads of threes.

I have two of my own and have done loads for other people.

A few examples here:

IMG_2324.jpg

img_2132.jpg

img_2451.jpg

Day6002-1.jpg

Aug2010003-1.jpg

Day1002.jpg

WombleWispaandMrWiggles018.jpg

IMG_4555.jpg

This said, not all are still together; just because one can bond trios not all are the best of friends in the long run. Some of the bunnies above have now passed away and a couple have split up as one bunny was being left out. They went on to be rebonded with another friend of their own.

Last edited:
Me. I bonded the pair first, then added a third several months later.

SDC10875.jpg

Adding the third bun actually helped improve the closeness of the existing two.

The 8 week old buck is upstairs at mo & he is being caged alot as it not really safe for him to wander.I want to move him downstairs as soon as possible now into B & Dills room but not put them together yet.Their room is bunny proofed so I could cage them whilst he has a play,then cage him whilst they free range.Would this be a problem,being in the same room but not together.The vets seemed to think this would be a good plan.

I have a three, they were a four but Boo died last november leaving them a three and they seem very close :) they all snuggle its lovely

The 8 week old buck is upstairs at mo & he is being caged alot as it not really safe for him to wander.I want to move him downstairs as soon as possible now into B & Dills room but not put them together yet.Their room is bunny proofed so I could cage them whilst he has a play,then cage him whilst they free range.Would this be a problem,being in the same room but not together.The vets seemed to think this would be a good plan.

I wouldn't introduce another rabbit into an area where your existing bunnies have been as they will see him as an interloper and will see him off in all but exceptional circumstances.

If you wanted to go for the side by side approach, you need to do it somehere new to all three of the rabbits and leave them like it.

Any behaviours seen under any other circumstances in my opinion will not reflect what you will see when the actual in together bond commences. You may actually lessen chances of it working at all by letting the new bun visit the others in their own space.

I'd think of another way of doing it to be honest.

Thanks.I try tried to PM you but you were full!:lol:He's been pretty good this eve.Hes been in his run & not nipping at all.I think he was frustrated earlier as he was bored & hubby didn't really know what to do with him.Now he's been out & about he seems to have settled again.If he stays settled we will leave him upstairs in the lounge with us & try & bond them properly when he's been neutered.I was only panicing because I didn't think he had enough space.

I can confirm what the Dutchess is saying. I tried this and it didn’t work. Jessica (one of the bonded pair) went nuts whenever the new rabbit moved, tried to attack but couldn’t so turned on Jasper. I don’t think she was fighting him as such just got a bit aggressive with him. This happened twice, the first time he moved away from her and the 2nd time he chased her round the room for ages (Jasper is the dominant bun). This was unthinkable Jasper and Jessica had the easiest bond ever and never a hint of anything like that could happen.

I’m in a similar situation and my plan after help from this forum is to keep them separate until the new bun is settled after his neuter. Bond them in totally neutral place and return them home which i will get thoroughly cleaned (carpets, sofas, skirting boards - the lot). Return them home and keep them confined to a small space, slowly increasing their space if there are no problems until eventually they have free run again :)

I have a trio and they get on really well no bun seems to get left out either :)
024-1-1.jpg

034-2.jpg

sorry for hugee picture i couldnt resist :)

Back