• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bailey died suddenly :(

sdow

New Kit
We are totally in shock, our beautiful Bailey just died suddenly. I heard a rucus(sp?) in the pen and I ran through as I thought her and Bella were both fighting, Bailey was on her side with Bella near her, at first I thought bailey was trying to get up and Bella wouldn't let her, but after a moment I realise Bailey was having a seizure, I went to pick her up and I was panicking so much and then she died in my arms within seconds.

We noticed earlier that she was sucking in her sides and we immediately thought Gut Stasis as she used to suffer from it, but we realised it wasn't as she was eating and drinking water too, so we decided to wait to take her to the vet until tomorrow, a stupid and fatal mistake on our part. When ever we suspect Stasis we call the Vet immediately as we know it can be fatal.

After she had her fit and she'd died in my arms, my husband noticed my shirt was covered in blood and it had dripped on the floor, so we're thinking maybe something inside her ruptured - has anyone had experience of this?

She was such a lovely bunny, we adopted her 4 years ago where she lived outside in a hutch and run with a wire floor, we built a pen in the house for her and she's lived inside ever since.

Bailey used to come running through to the living room and jump on the sofa and I'd spend the night watching TV with her cuddling beside me.

We do have another rabbit and they lived together however it took a year for them to even get near each other as Bella hates other Rabbits, so we don't know what to do....

We just lost one of our Rats suddenly last Sunday too so we hadn't even got over that and now our gorgeous Bailey. Just can't believe it!

I'm so sorry you have lost Bailey:cry::cry::cry:

Was Bailey vaccinated against VHD?
Its the first thing I can think of that causes sudden death and haemorraging.
So sorry for your loss x

I am so sorry that you have lost Bailey and also your rats! What a terrible shock!

Sleep tight Bailey and little ratties xx

I'm so sorry you have lost Bailey:cry::cry::cry:

Was Bailey vaccinated against VHD?
Its the first thing I can think of that causes sudden death and haemorraging.
So sorry for your loss x

Thank You, yes they were both vaccinated against Myxo and VHD last month.

Thank You everyone. It's so hard to come to terms with, she was our little Angel.

Unfortunately she wasn't spayed, we didn't know how old she was and when we spayed Bella, it changed her personality completely. So Bailey could've had uterine cancer and we didn't know it. Both had a full checkup at the end of May and nothing was flagged up - but I guess it can only be detected once bunny is opened up?

Bailey has had a lot more blood coming from her bottom now that rigour has set in, something must've ruptured in her - the fact she must've been in so much pain and we didn't realise is very hard to deal with. We can't believe she's gone.

Rest in peace our little Angel. We miss you so much - we're so glad we were given the opportunity to give you a loving home and we know you loved it here. x

I'm sorry to hear about her passing :cry:

Really the only way to get a better idea of why is a post mortem. They don't always come up with a conclusive answer but it may give you some answers with this sort of case. Vets are usually very sensitive and respectful of how owners feel in this circumstance so if it's something you want to consider give them a call first thing tomorrow and they can talk in through with you.

I am so very sorry for your loss. It does however sound like VHD as others have intimated to. I would therefore get your other bunny to a vet ASAP.

My heart goes out to you, losing a bunny is a devastating experience xxx

Back