• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Panacur Rabbit

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Hi
Should rabbits be given panacur rabbit for 4 times a year?
What are the advantages?
Are there any side effects?
What is it for?
Is it compulsary like vaccinations?

My vet says no.Just treat when something is wrong.
Ian Sayers opened and ran the rabbit referral centre in Bristol, along with Richard Sanders.Hes now got a surgery near me.Im a lucky bunny mummy!!

When showing signs of E.C is when they need it.
Also,there is a test to see if a bun has had access the E.C parasite but its expensive.

Thank you :wave:

The majority of rabbits seem to become infected with EC from their mothers. Infection can also occur when something contaminated by urine containing EC spores has been ingested. Approximately one month after the rabbit is infected it begins to shed EC spores via its urine. Spores continue to be shed for approximately 3 months, but can be shed throughout the rabbit's life.

What are spores?? :oops:

I panacur my rabbits once a year after boarding. I do so because I want to eliminate EC and other parasites/worms from them in case they picked up anything during boarding.

I do an 28day course because 9 days does nothing to the EC parasite. It's recommended to bleach their hutch/cage on the 21st and 28th day on the course to kill the spores that are produced in their wee on these days.

I'd only panacur after high risk situations, such as boarding, when you get them home, and when introducing new rabbits to a group. I wouldn't recommend it to be done regularly at all.

Thank you :wave:

The majority of rabbits seem to become infected with EC from their mothers. Infection can also occur when something contaminated by urine containing EC spores has been ingested. Approximately one month after the rabbit is infected it begins to shed EC spores via its urine. Spores continue to be shed for approximately 3 months, but can be shed throughout the rabbit's life.

What are spores?? :oops:

A bit like **bits of**.
You see mould...that releases spores into the environment which get into lungs and cause trouble.

Sorry I don't know if this is helpful but it can be used as protection for EC, it is a wormer but I've known rabbits who keep up to date with panacur still getting EC. My vets told me about the importance of vaccs and did mention EC when I registered Beano with them but they didn't explain the importance of it so I don't think they found it neccesary. But they're your rabbits and your choice to get them wormed or not :wave:

Sorry I don't know if this is helpful but it can be used as protection for EC, it is a wormer but I've known rabbits who keep up to date with panacur still getting EC. My vets told me about the importance of vaccs and did mention EC when I registered Beano with them but they didn't explain the importance of it so I don't think they found it neccesary. But they're your rabbits and your choice to get them wormed or not :wave:

This is why Ian Sayers says not to bother unless E.C is confirmed or the test has been done.:wave:

panacaur does not prevent E.C its used as treatment when a bun has E.C, then they have 30days treatment with it.
;)

its also a wormer which should be used to worm bunnies if they have worms :)

I'm interested in this thread beacuse my vet says they should be panacurred twice a year for 9 days at a time. I have seen varying views on this now. It would be great to know the reasons why this shouldn't be done now.:wave:

I'm interested in this thread beacuse my vet says they should be panacurred twice a year for 9 days at a time. I have seen varying views on this now. It would be great to know the reasons why this shouldn't be done now.:wave:

Its a bit like an MOT.Your car is ok when done at the time.After that, anything can happen!!! Same with Panacuring!! Do it, its ok At that moment!!!
A day later,you have to do it again.

Thanks I'm going to use it when my buns show signs of Ec or worms :wave:
Atm Im not going to use it :wave:

Back