• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Questions to ask about bunny boarding -*Now been for a visit!*

clarebear

Mama Doe
I am hopefully going to see someone about boarding my bunnies while we are on holiday. What sort of questions should I be asking? :?

Last edited:
Thank you :wave:

I have now been over to visit Nutwood Bunnies........and it's fabulous! Jayne is lovely and her set up is amazing. Basically her whole garden is taken over by bunnies. HUGE hutches for them, and lots of runs too.

I took my list of questions, but I think she had covered every single one of them by the time I looked at my list! :lol:

She really sounds like she knows about bunnies, after having owned and looked after them for 22 years.

I quite fancy going on holiday there myself! :D

clarebear, I'd suggest you don't allow her to put your bunnies out on grass unless you are going to Panacur them as EC spores (which will be shed by a carrier rabbit when 'stressed' for example when out of it's own environment) stay in soil and remain active for up to 6 weeks.

I would not want to risk my bunny picking up EC. As you know I'm sure EC becomes active when a rabbits immune system in lowered so both your rabbit and those also there could well be shedding or at risk from picking them up.

But atleast if she offers patio time, I'd go for that instead as she can spray with a suitable cleaner inbetween rabbits.

Helen

clarebear, I'd suggest you don't allow her to put your bunnies out on grass unless you are going to Panacur them as EC spores (which will be shed by a carrier rabbit when 'stressed' for example when out of it's own environment) stay in soil and remain active for up to 6 weeks.

But atleast if she offers patio time, I'd go for that instead as she can spray with a suitable cleaner inbetween rabbits.

Helen

Thank you for this Helen - I'm going to keep it in mind for when the buns go into boarding in Sept. :wave:

Thank you for this Helen - I'm going to keep it in mind for when the buns go into boarding in Sept. :wave:

Hiya, well it's just something to bare in mind because whilst it's lovely for bunnies to go out on grass, it's an accident waiting to happen in my opiniion. It's unlikely to be problem for many, but you just can't know about the health of the rabbits that used it before. With EC being in a suggested 80% of the rabbit population, it's got to be a concern. My concern is that a boarding establishment doesn't consider it a risk.

I know some boarding places which recommend panacuring or in fact insist on it, which I suppose is something but then you can argue about giving it too often becoming harmful or maybe ineffective.

The other reason for watching the way the bunnies are exercised (not specific to this place Nutwood) is that exercising rabbits near each other can cause referred agression and I'd also worry slightly what the boarding provider would do if my bunnies started at each other because they are in sight of others. This would be made worse if the boarding establishment accepts unneutered rabbits (I don't because I've seen what unneutered rabbits can do when near to pairs):shock:

I would not want to risk my bunny picking up EC. As you know I'm sure EC becomes active when a rabbits immune system in lowered so both your rabbit and those also there could well be shedding or at risk from picking them up.

Helen

Thank you Helen :wave:
Mine aren't used to the grass anyway, so I think it would upset their tums too. I might request that they are on the patio instead, which is what they are used too. Then I can give them some grass time at home instead.

Thank you Helen :wave:
Mine aren't used to the grass anyway, so I think it would upset their tums too. I might request that they are on the patio instead, which is what they are used too. Then I can give them some grass time at home instead.

I think that sound like a good solution.

I just have a thing about EC as I hear about more and more cases at our vets/with friends etc where there are 'possible symptoms' so I am now a bit of a worrier about the transfer of spores.

Hope your bunnies enjoy their stay.

Back