• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling to cope! u/d rescue spaces?

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Anyone else find they are struggling to cope when numbers go up?

The babies were never meant to be here, so I have no 'extra' or 'spare' set ups for this. So all the bunnies ( my own and the babies) are on minimum space or less. The babies are as big as mum and still growing, there eat everything in sight, and the 5 boys squabble more and more each day. I know they need neutering before they get to full on fighting, but I can't afford it, nor can I afford seperate set ups.

The family who were going to take two have now backed out due to their own circumstances. I stupidly thought it would be easier to rehome babies, I don't know why. I am trying to avoid the use of free ad sites, and stick to RU, but it just isn't working.

I worry about their time with me, knowing they will need neutering soon, and I worry about their life with other people, I want what is best for them, but just can't see where to take them, where they should go and how to get my own bunny set ups back to 'normal'.

As horrible as it sounds I just wish I could be like a breeder and just let them go to any old family in a tiny box with no life, but I know I would never live with myself for that! All the boys are used to 4-5 hours out side, and a 10ftx6ft 'hutch', I don't want to take that away from them, they are all going to be big boys!

Last edited:
Have you checked on freecycle or ebay for free or very cheap hutches, wendys or sheds. You could make pens inside a shed perhaps.

I can't afford to keep them, They are impacting on the quality of life of my original bunnies, my lot havnt been vacced, and I still have Isla's spay to pay for and the spay of the girly who is stopping.

Plus, Im not allowed, I live with my nanna, and what she says goes...the babies HAVE to go.

I am allowed 6, the original number that moved here with me.

I just feel really torn about it all, I want good homes for the babies, and want to be able to wait for them, but I also want everything to be back to normal, for my nanna and family to stop going on about the bunnies taking over the garden, that there are too many and that I am neglecting them all by keeping the babies and them having to go so I can look after the ones I already had!

I just feel like Im between a rock and a hard place, trying to keep everyone happy.

At the minute I just want to rehome all of the bunnies and have a quiet life!

I am ashamed to admit I completely relate.
Only think I have come up with is selling as much stuff as poss and combing ebay for suitable items.
But the sick feeling of a catch 22 where worrying my buns deserve better but also 'better' homes seeming not to be out there.
There are no easy answers but you are doing your best.
I hope a solution arrives soon.
You could try freeads but homecheck before you rehome?
Hugs x

Last edited:
I am ashamed to admit I completely relate.
Only think I have come up with is selling as much stuff as poss and combing ebay for suitable items.
But the sick feeling of a catch 22 where worrying my buns deserve better but also 'better' homes seeming not to be out there.
There are no easy answers but you are doing your best.
I hope a solution arrives soon.
You could try freead but homecheck Wuv?
Hugs x

Thank you, I just feel like im in a constant cycle, if they go to new homes Ill worry, if they stop here I know I don't have the space for 7 large rabbits, along with 5 medium rabbits, and that they will be better off somewhere else.

I don't know how breeders do it I honestly don't

they have all closed down, the only one around here is the one that caused the problem, and I vowed that they wouldn't go back there.

aww Louise :( have you tried other forums like the guinea pig forum? I could post them on the chinchilla forum for you.

I would avoid freeads at all costs but if you have to I would charge for them and do a homecheck x

they have all closed down, the only one around here is the one that caused the problem, and I vowed that they wouldn't go back there.

i hope you find homes for them i really do, but can i say not all "breeders" let rabbits go to any old person a decent one will check you know what your doing and offer to take them back if you cant cope, and as for babies i hope someone can help you soon

What about advertising in your vets? You could always homecheck, and anyone that uses a vet must care about animals so hopefully will be happy to make the efford to do things right.

awww im sorry louise :(

I'd take more than Crunchie but would worry about the neuture :( I dont think I can afford 2 :( and I worry about the bond :(

Plus getting Crunchie is hard at the mo lol!

awww im sorry louise :(

I'd take more than Crunchie but would worry about the neuture :( I dont think I can afford 2 :( and I worry about the bond :(

Plus getting Crunchie is hard at the mo lol![/QUOTE]

I know, I have put a post in bunny runs, but no luck. Told you Ill meet half way if need be. I know he is getting a good home and will be happy with your gorgeous group.

Are there any rescues with space?? I know thats a really silly question! But feeling a bit at the end of a tether really.

Have you listed them on the main Rabbit Rehome site?

I would start looking at rescues further a field for places and then see if you can work out transport. If you can donate a little for each that will still help the rescue but perhaps be more possible within your finances than vacc/neuter and rehoming yourself.

I have them up on here, and rr, as well as putting them on a few other sites, but no body seems interested.

A donation would go with them, without saying, as would ongoing monthy help, be it financial or fundraising. I realistically know it wouldn't be much, but its better than just leaving them in rescue and seeing it as an end to my problems.

Last edited:
Can you email me some recent pics and I'll take one to the vets i'm due there this week. She may know of someone looking. Wish I could help you out and foster one but I'm away in 3 weeks for a week.

Id take 2-3 to bond with my 3 (if people think I have enough space) but I couldnt afford to have them done at the same time. And would worry that theyd bond leaving the existing ones out :(
If I had money for more accomodation Id foster no probs :(

I currently have 1 boy and 2 girls and am looking to adopt one of the males from louise, would 5 with it being odd be bad, especially with being male heavy :S

Id take 2-3 to bond with my 3 (if people think I have enough space) but I couldnt afford to have them done at the same time. And would worry that theyd bond leaving the existing ones out :(
If I had money for more accomodation Id foster no probs :(

I currently have 1 boy and 2 girls and am looking to adopt one of the males from louise, would 5 with it being odd be bad, especially with being male heavy :S

Dom what is your set up again?

Back