• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you consider a typical vet bill expensive?

Boudicca

Warren Veteran
D&D had their Myxo boosters today and I also asked for some rearguard for Daisy so just a bog standard vet visit. I went to pay the bill which was £60 I didn't bat an eyelid and never gave it a thought! As she handed me the receipt the receptionist said 'I bet you're glad that's over!' I said yes as I hate upsetting D&D and putting them through something they dont understand'! She gave me a bemused look and I realised she meant the bill :lol: It then occurred to me I'd spend ages deciding whether I could afford that much on myself but when it comes to the buns I pay without a second thought! I seem to lose perspective on what's expensive when it comes to the furries :lol:!!

Last edited:
I'm always shocked by the bill (especially now they have taken the basic price list down from reception!) - but it gets paid straight away (on my mum's credit card :lol:)

Knowing there will be a huge bill doesn't stop me taking the furries when they need treatment etc, but I do always cringe at the final amount.

Nope. I don't break a sweat until it's over £350 ish. Vets are expensive, I'm more than aware of that and an under a ton bill is marvelous! :lol:

yes, vets are expensive! in my area anyway! lol Thats why I dont take my pets to the vet unless they need it (e.g i wont take them to get their nails cut, so i do it myself)

If our vet bill is over £1000 for the month, I do take a deep breath- I expect this month to be a biggie- but I would never do without a vet visit if it was needed. I would do without myself though.

If our vet bill is over £1000 for the month, I do take a deep breath- I expect this month to be a biggie- but I would never do without a vet visit if it was needed. I would do without myself though.

You do have rather a lot of animals, and a wide variety of them :lol:

I cringe if the bill is £50 :oops::lol:

mine was 61 quid yesterday :shock: :shock: and i dont think they even charged for the claws it was just the myxi and healthcheck :shock: oh and a new bottle of metacam *faints*

Yes, I find the vets very expensive. A consultation alone is £22 here, and you're never in the room longer than 15 minutes.

Yup!
Charlie was in stasis and one visit was £70 odd.
Cat put to sleep was £90 something
Hamster was just under £50 to be pts.

Nope. I don't break a sweat until it's over £350 ish. Vets are expensive, I'm more than aware of that and an under a ton bill is marvelous! :lol:

That's kind of what I said to the receptionist after I realised what she meant :lol:

I think bigger bills annoy me only when I feel like I've been ripped off ie £120 to see an emergency vet before the treatment which you have to explain to the vet what they need!!

At Spenser's own vet I tend always to take considerably more money than needed just in case the vet says he needs something extra there and then, and for the emergency vet I know what the kick off is. He's insured so I don't worry too much. My biggest worry re. vets is that if Spenser took ill while my parents are on holiday I'd have to find another way of getting him there.

Yeah, I'm the same. If I'm at the dentist I cringe waiting to hear the bill, but if I'm at the vets I just expect it to be high and don't react. Having said that, my current vet is about half the price of my old one!

I'm always shocked by the bill (especially now they have taken the basic price list down from reception!) - but it gets paid straight away (on my mum's credit card :lol:)Knowing there will be a huge bill doesn't stop me taking the furries when they need treatment etc, but I do always cringe at the final amount.

You've got a nice mum!:D

:wave: Just having a little look here and wondered how far do people go with treatment at home when their buns are 'under the weather' before visiting the vet?

I don't mind paying the vet's bills as long as they are looking after my pets.
What I do mind though is ignorance towards the feelings of bunny owners.
I had to have my last bunn, Jasper PTS after a long battle and lots of suffering for him and us. What I did find really upsetting and annoying though was when I received the bill from them it was just a basic print out and it just said Cat - Euthanasia!
I phoned and expalined that Jasper was rabbit not a cat but they said that is how they invoice you as rabbit and cat are exactly the same price to PTS!
Anyway I refused to pay the bill until i got a proper print out saying that it was for a bunnie.
I know I was pig headed and awkward but I found this really heartless and uncaring of them at the time.
Anyway they have since changed the policy about that now, and I have since changed vets!

:wave: Just having a little look here and wondered how far do people go with treatment at home when their buns are 'under the weather' before visiting the vet?

I get to the vet asap if any sign of illness (although I will try bathing a sore eye with cold tea!)

I don't mind paying the vet's bills as long as they are looking after my pets.
What I do mind though is ignorance towards the feelings of bunny owners.
I had to have my last bunn, Jasper PTS after a long battle and lots of suffering for him and us. What I did find really upsetting and annoying though was when I received the bill from them it was just a basic print out and it just said Cat - Euthanasia!
I phoned and expalined that Jasper was rabbit not a cat but they said that is how they invoice you as rabbit and cat are exactly the same price to PTS!
Anyway I refused to pay the bill until i got a proper print out saying that it was for a bunnie.
I know I was pig headed and awkward but I found this really heartless and uncaring of them at the time.
Anyway they have since changed the policy about that now, and I have since changed vets!

Don't think you were pig-headed or awkward - I would have reacted exactly the same (and would have changed vets, as you did).

Back