• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Come on then RU - lets have your brain power please!!

TeflonsShadow

Wise Old Thumper
Rimmi and Winter are being a bit of a pickle recently. Since moving to the new house, they have had a new pen. The pen has a floor which is laminate.

Before moving, Rimmi and Winter were litter trained... not all poops, but deffo all pees (apart from the occasional pee on the sofa!).

Now.... they are not. For some odd reason, they have begun peeing on the floor.... which is causing a problem! They are getting soggy paws!

I clean them out every day, usually twice (first time a sweep and add hay in the morning, second time a sweep and wipe and then change litter tray and add more hay).

Ive tried all sorts - moving the tray, adding and removing carpet (they peed on it and it stunk!), using anti-bac, using just water, just wiping up pee.......

What else can I do? Ideas please RU!

(ps - I know it may have been the change, but all their things were kept the same - I didnt wash anything so the smells were the same, and they have been home for 3 weeks now..... :( ).

How do they feel about the arrival of the gorgeous new puppy? Are they showing annoyance at all?

I'm not sure what to suggest....River doesn't do all her poos in the tray, and has only just started doing wees in there. She's surprisingly become more friendly since the mutt's arrival.:lol::roll:

How do they feel about the arrival of the gorgeous new puppy? Are they showing annoyance at all?

I'm not sure what to suggest....River doesn't do all her poos in the tray, and has only just started doing wees in there. She's surprisingly become more friendly since the mutt's arrival.:lol::roll:

The poos don't worry me at all..... its the pees! I worry about their paws getting sore..... their paws used to be beautifully clean and now they are damp and yellow :(

They don't care about the dog, they are used to our other jack russell. They completely ignore her.

They still get lots of free range time. Sometimes with the pup in the room in her crate, and sometimes with the pup upstairs out of sight.

They are managing to get some of their toys wet.... its frustrating, as I am having to throw some toys away :( :( :(

The poos don't worry me at all..... its the pees! I worry about their paws getting sore..... their paws used to be beautifully clean and now they are damp and yellow :(

They don't care about the dog, they are used to our other jack russell. They completely ignore her.

They still get lots of free range time. Sometimes with the pup in the room in her crate, and sometimes with the pup upstairs out of sight.

They are managing to get some of their toys wet.... its frustrating, as I am having to throw some toys away :( :( :(

Hmmm......are towels/puppy pads an option?

You could cover the floor, and then slowly take them away, and hopefully they'll stop weeing on the floor!

Hmmm......are towels/puppy pads an option?

You could cover the floor, and then slowly take them away, and hopefully they'll stop weeing on the floor!

The only thing with covering the floor is........ the wee sods dig it up and move it around! They have a snuggle corner (which they always have had)

The only thing with covering the floor is........ the wee sods dig it up and move it around! They have a snuggle corner (which they always have had)

They are tricky tricksters!!:evil: :lol::lol: Hmmmmmm....a carpet offcut that you can throw out afterwards? :?

They are tricky tricksters!!:evil: :lol::lol: Hmmmmmm....a carpet offcut that you can throw out afterwards? :?

They've had bathmats...... which became disgusting :? I told ya.... I am fresh out of ideas! They are being such pickles! :shock: Ive tried giving them more toys, moving things around, changing toys every day.......all sorts! Nothing is working!

Guess I am going to be wiping up after them forever and ever...... :(

It's funny you should start this thread because my Norris and Narla have had a massive poo-a-thon on the floor this week. I really can't believe it! They have a ferplast 100 as a litter tray and I am about to clean it for the third time in a week, so it's not at all dirty!

The problem with Norris and Narla is that they are being territorial over their much loved binky cushion and poos and wees are the most practical way of marking your territory :roll:

It's really obvious that its a territorial dispute and I wonder whether your bunnies are the same? I think that they are finding the need to mark their territory since the move.

i would reduce their space for a week or more until they relitter train. i read years ago as baby buns are given more space the places where they pee increase but if area is reduced they are easily litter trained so this could also be a reason why adult buns in a new home lose the litter training. i kept my pair in the penned area for about two weeks when we moved to try and avoid the territory marking with pee.

It's funny you should start this thread because my Norris and Narla have had a massive poo-a-thon on the floor this week. I really can't believe it! They have a ferplast 100 as a litter tray and I am about to clean it for the third time in a week, so it's not at all dirty!

The problem with Norris and Narla is that they are being territorial over their much loved binky cushion and poos and wees are the most practical way of marking your territory :roll:

It's really obvious that its a territorial dispute and I wonder whether your bunnies are the same? I think that they are finding the need to mark their territory since the move.

I can understand this..... but still 3 weeks later?? I really thought they would have settled by now! :(

i would reduce their space for a week or more until they relitter train. i read years ago as baby buns are given more space the places where they pee increase but if area is reduced they are easily litter trained so this could also be a reason why adult buns in a new home lose the litter training. i kept my pair in the penned area for about two weeks when we moved to try and avoid the territory marking with pee.

I would feel terrible to reduce their space but perhaps I need too :cry: I wouldnt mind if they were on newspaper or something, but as indoor buns (as they have always been), they are on laminate (before they were on wood flooring and fleece) which means the pee cannot soak away. I do not want them to get sore feetsies! Ive tried covering the floor with bathmats but the bathmats got the same treatment :? and made the room STINK.

I would feel terrible to reduce their space but perhaps I need too :cry: I wouldnt mind if they were on newspaper or something, but as indoor buns (as they have always been), they are on laminate (before they were on wood flooring and fleece) which means the pee cannot soak away. I do not want them to get sore feetsies! Ive tried covering the floor with bathmats but the bathmats got the same treatment :? and made the room STINK.

i felt mean too hun, but at one point Holly was peeing on my bed (in brum when she was trying to be boss!!), its good to give them space but i think they do need a little area to call home until they settle in.. i got a really cheap offcut of carpet (£7) which was about 4ftx8ft and i put the main pen on this, no matter where we go this is theirs and is stained from the odd pee but the rest of the room is totally pee free :D

i felt mean too hun, but at one point Holly was peeing on my bed (in brum when she was trying to be boss!!), its good to give them space but i think they do need a little area to call home until they settle in.. i got a really cheap offcut of carpet (£7) which was about 4ftx8ft and i put the main pen on this, no matter where we go this is theirs and is stained from the odd pee but the rest of the room is totally pee free :D

I guess it is for their benefit in the long run, as well as mine. Mostly because I do not want them getting sore feets! :(

I can understand this..... but still 3 weeks later?? I really thought they would have settled by now! :(

I've had my bunnies in the same space for three years! We did go away last week and Norris has recently discovered upstairs which until recently was Narla's sole preserve. I think it is more about their relationship dynamic than anything else. They're obviously feeling pissy with each other! :lol:

Have you got them directly on to the laminate floor or have you something on the floor on top of the laminate?

Have you got them directly on to the laminate floor or have you something on the floor on top of the laminate?

The bottom floor is laminate sheet, ontop of carpet, attached to the sides of the cage (so poops do not escape!). The top level has a foamy bottom layer with the laminate sheet again on top (the foam to prevent the bars hurting their feets!).

The originally had a rug on the bottom floor and bath matts on the top floor, but I had to take them out to wash because they are freaking minging! Its not just the rug and matts they are peeing on though..... they are peeing directly onto the laminate, as well as in the litter tray. :(

I would never, ever put rabbits on to laminate floor, it's too slippery for them, their feet can't cope with it and they can damage there backs from slipping, if they are on laminate I would cover it with newspaper and hay, I have several mats and I just change the mats and wash them, usually morning and evening

Back