• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD jab - still not himself

steveg

Warren Scout
Well, we thought Peter was back to normal but he's not.

He's still a lot better than he was but has just not returned to his old self. No standing up to see you in the morning, no running around his run at 100mph, no eating his nuggets, which he loves, and not eating his dandelion leaves like he used to. He has been eating grass but it's like his personality has changed. More reserved and not so out-going and lively.

It's four days now since he had the vaccine, had it on Tuesday morning. He does have a bit of a sore eye, for which we're giving him eye drops, and I'm putting it down to this.

We just want him back to his old self, but, he's still not right. I know it can take two or three days to get over the vaccination but has anyone noticed a personality change after a vaccine?

I'm sorry Peter's still not right :( I cant really help I'm afraid, as mine had a different vaccine and had no side effects, but I'm sure someone else will come along soon to help you out... It might just be taking a long time for him toget over it, he will hopefully be back to his normal lively self next week :)

Thanks ripminnie. I'm now wondering if he's being spooked during the night by a predator. We have lots of crows and magpies near us, and although they can't get in they may well have spooked him. Am also going to check hutch for damage in case a fox has been around.

Some bunnies can take longer than others to get over things & whilst 2-3 days may be the norm it may just take Peter a little longer.

Re. the predator concern. Is his hutch covered at night?

Thanks ripminnie. I'm now wondering if he's being spooked during the night by a predator. We have lots of crows and magpies near us, and although they can't get in they may well have spooked him. Am also going to check hutch for damage in case a fox has been around.

We've had a few mag pies stalking the rabbits on occasion. They like to taunt my running back and forth at the run looking as if they're trying to find a way in. Thumper ran over once because I can out to scare it away and Thumper went straight for the Magpie and it got spooked back and flew off!

Thanks fluffers. No, hutch not convered. Should be be covering it every night? The problem is, it gets light about 4am and he seems to like just looking outside, it seems a shame to shut out all the light until we get up.

He's in his run for most of the day, only really in his hutch at night.

Thanks fluffers. No, hutch not convered. Should be be covering it every night? The problem is, it gets light about 4am and he seems to like just looking outside, it seems a shame to shut out all the light until we get up.

He's in his run for most of the day, only really in his hutch at night.

I cover my foster buns hutches at night, just with tarpaulin in the warmer months. If something were to frighten them (more likely at night) they have somewhere dark to retreat to where they can't be seen & can't see out. It reduces the risk of them being scared to death (literally). I understand what you mean re. it getting light. Mine all have 24/7 access to the run (the hutches sit on top), not sure of your set up or if this is possible?

Run not attached to hutch meantime but will be once I get some more wood to secure the gap underneath hutch. I'm going to do this sooner rather than later and then we'll cover it at night as you suggest. Thanks.

Holly was different for 3 weeks after her VHD last year, i hadn't had her long so couldn't quite put my finger on what was wrong.. the way she held herself was definately different she didn't stretch out and lounge but was still eating fine :? then just 3 weeks later she suddenly went back to how she was when she first came home... very strange and im really dreading the jab this year :(

Thanks Donnamt, that's interesting. Maybe we're expecting too much too soon from him and need to relax and given him time.

I'm sure he'll be fine, but I swear, having this bun is like having a new born baby home, and we're experienced parents!:oops:

im sure he will be fine too... its a nasty evil virus so i suppose the vaccine must be pretty nasty to the system too for a little while. fingers crossed you get him back to normal very soon :D

If it was CYLAP that was given then a full immune response takes up to 3 weeks to establish. So I guess it is possible thats some Rabbits may not feel 100% during that time.

I note you say that he has gone off his pellets AND that he has a sore eye.

I assume that the Vet who gave the vaccination did a thorough examination first, including checking his teeth ? Selective feeding, a change in demeanor and gunky eyes can all point strongly towards Dental problems.

Jane, thanks for the info, most helpful re the three week period.

He had a thorough check before his vacc, and when I went back the day after 'cos he wasn't feeding, she specifically checked his teeth and said all was okay. Had I been more informed I probably wouldn't have gone back the next day but didn't realise the effects could be so severe.

We'll keep a close eye on him. The vet said it was an eye infection and prescribed the drops. if it doesn't clear up we'll take him back re teeth, but everything seems to point to he vaccination as he had no problems feeding right up until having it.

Last edited:
Hope Peter is soon back to full strength. He'll be a bit tired as he's not been eating properly for a few days. Have to admit I'd be concerned if he isn't back on his pellets soon. When Spenser was off his pellets I softened them slightly with warm water from the kettle, and the smell seemed to awaken his interest.

Back