• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please please check your hutch fastenings.

summerleaze

Warren Scout
I'm sure it's probably been mentioned lots of times on forums about securing hutches and sheds against predators but sadly I have had a huge increase in the number of people contacting me to say their hutches/sheds have been broken into by badgers or foxes.

In most instances all the guinea pigs have died :cry: One lady had 8 guineas living in a summer house and a determined badger got in and killed all but one. They have lived in there for over five years and never had a problem.

I notice many hutches are sold with swivel closings and I just dont think they can be secure enough. Predators are feeding their young just now and will go to any length to find food.

It's up to all of us to properly secure our outdoor accommodation. :)

That's very sad. :(

Definitely worth a mention though, in case people aren't aware. The swivel locks are so easy to open - I've fitted all doors with hasp and staple locks. :thumb:

Thanks for the reminder - my buns are only outside in the day and the dogs always have access to the patio so touchwood we haven't had any intruders yet. I have been meaning to get some padlocks though and will aim to get it done this weekend.

mine have sliding bolts and padlocks.

*touch wood* no fox issues and definitely no badgers around here.

how sad :(

when bisc and matt were outside in their shed, it had three bolts on it and i even put a very heavy plant pot up against the door aswell and i was still really paranoid something would get in.

don't forget to check windows aswell and make sure the any mesh is securely attached. use staples and screws and bolts. and then bolt a frame on aswell over the edges.

Foxes can chew through 19g weldmesh too so if you get a chance, add a layer of heavier mesh.

Also check the roofs of hutches, sheds and wendy houses are firmly attached - I remember Sooz telling of someone who had a fox lift up the roof of a wendy hosue and take rabbits that way.

Honestly not meaning to be a scaremonger - just don't want anyone getting caught out when they could have done something to prevent it.

Foxes can chew through 19g weldmesh too so if you get a chance, add a layer of heavier mesh.

Also check the roofs of hutches, sheds and wendy houses are firmly attached - I remember Sooz telling of someone who had a fox lift up the roof of a wendy hosue and take rabbits that way.

Honestly not meaning to be a scaremonger - just don't want anyone getting caught out when they could have done something to prevent it.

lift the roof :shock: my friend had rabbits and the fox managed to pull the back panel of the hutch off. :( if ever there was a reason to get strong well made hutches.

i agree about the mesh. i had three layers over the window.

That's scary! What is 19g weldmesh - not sure what we have! I have sliding bolts on our hutches, which I check and re-check so many times.

If you bought a hutch you almost certainly have 19g weldmesh on it. It's the mesh with rectangular holes about 3cm x 1cm. 19g is the thickness of the wire its made from, it's peculiar in that the bigger the number, the thinner the wire. :?

I lost my two lovely rabbits when a fox chewed through this wire, it also did a lot of damage to the wood.

There's a pic of the damaged hutch here. (I'm not posting the image directly in case it's upsetting)

If you're worried about it it might be worth thinking about reinforcements....meshdirect.co.uk is a good supplier.

Back