• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD p24 - back from vets, its his allergies again :(

WeeBarraxO

Warren Veteran
I took Smokey out today & his ears where a mess :cry:, he has ear mites & his ears where all scabby :cry:, got some of them cleaned & going to pick up some ear mite stuff tomorrow, I feel awful that I've not noticed this sooner, but I've been sooo bogged down with getting college work finnished for yesterday that I've not been able to check them all over as often as I usually do :cry::cry:

should I try & clean them a bit, they look so awful :cry:, it must be sooo soo sore for him, I just can't do anything properly can I :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
*big hugs hun* don't feel bad it's easy for mites to go undetected in the early stages. You could maybe put a little bit of sudocrem on any bits that look sore x

*big hugs hun* don't feel bad it's easy for mites to go undetected in the early stages. You could maybe put a little bit of sudocrem on any bits that look sore x

should I give them a wee clean with cooled boiled salt water or diluted hibiscrub first ?

Try not to get stressed, there's no benefit. I don't know as I've never experienced the problem you're having, but I just wanted to wish him well! Hopefully you can get him a vet appointment tomorrow morning and all will be sorted. :)

should I give them a wee clean with cooled boiled salt water or diluted hibiscrub first ?

I don't think it'll do any harm but I doubt it'll make the mites go or anything, might soothe his skin though :wave:

ETA: I know it's not an emergency but could you maybe ring a vet for some advice?

I don't think it'll do any harm but I doubt it'll make the mites go or anything, might soothe his skin though :wave:

ETA: I know it's not an emergency but could you maybe ring a vet for some advice?

yeah think I might do, gonna get a app for first thing tomorrow anyway, but might give them a ring to ask if theres anything I should do just now :(

yeah think I might do, gonna get a app for first thing tomorrow anyway, but might give them a ring to ask if theres anything I should do just now :(

yeah thats what I meant lovely, I wouldn't stress yourself and him out trying to get to the vets tonight xx

Ive checked angel & buffys ears and they are perfect, so i dont see whgy smokeys are such a mess :cry: unless its an alergic reaction to something :(, only thing we ha ve changed is their cat litter from a sort of paper based pellet to a wood based pellet :(, it was like big plugs of wax in each ear :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I am sorry that this has happened, don't beat yourself up about it though. You have noticed it now and you're getting him to the vet tomorrow. You'd be a bad bunny mummy if you knew about it but chose not to get help.

Ive checked angel & buffys ears and they are perfect, so i dont see whgy smokeys are such a mess :cry: unless its an alergic reaction to something :(, only thing we ha ve changed is their cat litter from a sort of paper based pellet to a wood based pellet :(, it was like big plugs of wax in each ear :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mites seem to like particular animals. Riley gets ear mites while my other dogs and pets don't.

They should quickly clear up with ivermectin and the vet may also need to cclean the ears out :) He'll be fine soon.

Can't hay bring in mites? Not sure if hay carries ear mites or not though...

Ive just had the same thing with Smudge so know how you feel :wave:

We noticed a strange patch of fur missing on his back on Wednesday night and then on deeper inspection spotted the mites. We took him and our other three rabbits to the vets yesterday and the other rabbits were fine. Smudge and his partner had an injection and I have to take them back in 10 days.

The vet said that rabbits often have low level mite populations that don't bother them but these can suddenly build up for no apparent reason so I really wouldn't blame yourself. The important thing is to get the problem fixed when you know about it.

I don't know about Smokey but Smudge is as active and into everything as normal and not scratching which makes me think he isn't too bothered by the mites.

Good luck with Smokey!

If there is a lot of crusting then please do not attempt to remove it yourself. That would cause a lot of pain and may do more harm than good. Also, severe ear mites can lead to a secondary bacterial infection which would also need treatment.

Personally I would want him to be examined by a Vet (ears checked using an otoscope). Ear mites are often a symptom of other underlying issues, so a general health check would no go amiss

Good Luck :)

Its his allergies again :(, vet said it doesnt look like ear mites, but has treated him for them incase it is, he had allergies a year or two ago but it was on his belly, its like exzema he gets, now its in his ears this time :(, my poor baby, we have some ear drops for him & to go back in 2 weeks or if it gets any worse go back sooner :(

Awwwww poor lad :cry:

But well done for getting him straight off to the Vets. Hopefully the treatments will kick in quickly and his ears will so be much better :)

Back