• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help me?

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Can someone name a high fibre rabbit food?

Poppy has Science Selective mature and has done for about a year and a half now but her poops are coming out sloppy and nasty at random points in the day or week, my mom rang the vets for me from work and she said that it was because she can't eat enough hay and I need to get more fibre in her diet :?
Only my mom forgot what she said :roll: lol.. To be fair though she was trying to sort out the year 6 leavers play masks.. They're doing the lion king and somehow my mom has managed to drag me into making over 40 masks (year 5 are the choir) .. In 4 weeks!? I did one of my placement at her school and I loved it :love: Still go on trips and things now I'm qualified lol :) My mom's the SEN TA there so put in a good word for me lol ;) :)

Anyway.. Can anyone help???
My bf said banana but I don't know if it would work the same for rabbits?
Are their any fruits or veg I can try? (I can try, and so can Pops but some things she just can't seem to keep in her mouth. Just comes back out after she's sucked it to death lol)
I thought her pellets were fine but then I don't actually know the fibre amount :?

Also, where we get the food from, it has now has gone up £3 in the last 6 months.. and still rising.. So it's lasting about a month and costing £7 now :roll:

Sadly the high fibre foods are probably more expensive than SS!

One of the best is probably Bunny Basics T https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Foo.../Bunny+Basics+Adult+(%252FT)+:+2.25kg.83.html

I would not recommend banana, it's far more likely to cause tummy upsets, as it's very sugary and starchy and that will upset the gut flora of a bunny far more than it would give benefit from any fibre. Similarly, in a bun with poor poops, I wouldn't feed fruit - I would stick to leafy green type veg. It can also be counter-productive because the more delicious alternative foods you offer, the less hay they will eat - in much the same way that a child is unlikely to want his broccoli if there's a big bowl of sweets left out all day! How many pellets are you feeding each day?

Has the bun had a vet check to rule out any other problems? Why can't she eat hay? I would suggest first port of call would be a proper vet check rather than just a phone call, to look for items such as arthritis, obesity, dental problems etc, all of which can cause problems with excess poops as well as problems eating hay and some of which may be solve-able through veterinary intervention and/or change in ways of feeding.

Good luck x

Sadly the high fibre foods are probably more expensive than SS!

One of the best is probably Bunny Basics T https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Foo.../Bunny+Basics+Adult+(%252FT)+:+2.25kg.83.html

I would not recommend banana, it's far more likely to cause tummy upsets, as it's very sugary and starchy and that will upset the gut flora of a bunny far more than it would give benefit from any fibre. Similarly, in a bun with poor poops, I wouldn't feed fruit - I would stick to leafy green type veg. It can also be counter-productive because the more delicious alternative foods you offer, the less hay they will eat - in much the same way that a child is unlikely to want his broccoli if there's a big bowl of sweets left out all day! How many pellets are you feeding each day?

Has the bun had a vet check to rule out any other problems? Why can't she eat hay? I would suggest first port of call would be a proper vet check rather than just a phone call, to look for items such as arthritis, obesity, dental problems etc, all of which can cause problems with excess poops as well as problems eating hay and some of which may be solve-able through veterinary intervention and/or change in ways of feeding.

Good luck x

She used to have just over half a bowl (before RU, I had no knowledge of the food amount, noone told me :? So I'm constantly blaming myself because I did it when she was little when I had zilch knowledge of any animal, she was my first pet (at 15) I came home from school and there she was:love:) So we have gradually got her to a point where she has a handful in the morning, (about 6) and then about 1 she has a 'pinch' of about 9 pellets (because she struggles with the hay) and then just under a handful at about 8 or 9. (My hands aren't very big:lol:) She has dental problems and we have just finished getting her at a stable weight as she wasn't eating at all and was just a bag of bones :? She has the vets for her teeth checkup in about a week and a half. She does try and eat her hay but only a few strands at a time and it wouldn't be enough for fibre intake. I saw the excel natural grass in p@h so I'm going to get some of that. And some spring greens perhaps :) She has water cress the other day and managed to eat a few bits but enjoyed digging it more :roll:

Back