• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccination Reaction - Survey Results

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
As a lot of you know, I put together a survey about vaccination reactions as we've been discussing them a lot recently. Thank you to everyone that filled it in, here are the results: http://www.therabbithouse.com/research/vaccination.asp

The most interesting bits are, yes, Cylap does cause more reactions that Lapinject, quite a few more in fact. 37% of rabbits react in some way to Cylap as opposed to 7% to Lapinject.

Here are reactions experienced by type (Lapinject v. Cylap)

Skin Reaction 1.4% v. 14.3%
Limp 0.5% v. 9.9%
Fever 0.5% v. 2.5%
Under the Weather 5.3% v. 25.5%
Stasis 1% v. 5%

So 1 in 4 rabbits will feel under the weather after getting Cylap, where as only 1 in 20 feel under the weather after Lapinject. For me that's a pretty significant difference.

For those that have had a rabbit react to Cylap... I compared rabbits that had both Lapinject and Cylap and 66% that reacted to Cylap didn't react to Lapinject so that's definately worth a try. Not many people have used Anivac yet, but it suggests again that those that react to Cylap probably won't react to Anivac.

Finally, I compared Myxo and VHD... which was interesting. If a rabbit has a reaction to Myxo then the odds of a reaction to Cylap rocket to 90%. The handy thing is, most people get Myxo done first, so if you do get a reaction to that, I'd definately go for Lapinject or Anivac instead of Cylap.

Any questions let me know :D

Thats really interesting Tamsin, thank you for sharing the results with us :) We use Anivac now for all the foster rabbits, and so far everybun has been well, well worth changing from cylap

I wonder being more bunny aware and members of RU we notice so much more.

I saw the terrible reaction your bunny had.

Never thought twice what my vets gave my bunnies. No reactions but would be interested to know what they have had all these years.

Great thread, Tamsin. I think i must have missed this survey!! :shock:

Dolly reacted badly to cylap, but not at all to lapinject. Would be interesting to see the results for anivac when its more widely used. :)

As a lot of you know, I put together a survey about vaccination reactions as we've been discussing them a lot recently. Thank you to everyone that filled it in, here are the results: http://www.therabbithouse.com/research/vaccination.asp

The most interesting bits are, yes, Cylap does cause more reactions that Lapinject, quite a few more in fact. 37% of rabbits react in some way to Cylap as opposed to 7% to Lapinject.

Here are reactions experienced by type (Lapinject v. Cylap)

Skin Reaction 1.4% v. 14.3%
Limp 0.5% v. 9.9%
Fever 0.5% v. 2.5%
Under the Weather 5.3% v. 25.5%
Stasis 1% v. 5%

So 1 in 4 rabbits will feel under the weather after getting Cylap, where as only 1 in 20 feel under the weather after Lapinject. For me that's a pretty significant difference.

For those that have had a rabbit react to Cylap... I compared rabbits that had both Lapinject and Cylap and 66% that reacted to Cylap didn't react to Lapinject so that's definately worth a try. Not many people have used Anivac yet, but it suggests again that those that react to Cylap probably won't react to Anivac.

Finally, I compared Myxo and VHD... which was interesting. If a rabbit has a reaction to Myxo then the odds of a reaction to Cylap rocket to 90%. The handy thing is, most people get Myxo done first, so if you do get a reaction to that, I'd definately go for Lapinject or Anivac instead of Cylap.

Any questions let me know :D

I think that shows clearly that Cylap is more likely to cause a reaction.

Also, if a Bun is under the weather after a MYXI Vac then personally I would wait for MORE THAN two weeks before vaccinating against VHD, even if giving LAPINJECT or ANIVAC.

Well done Tamsin :thumb:

I think that shows clearly that Cylap is more likely to cause a reaction.

Also, if a Bun is under the weather after a MYXI Vac then personally I would wait for MORE THAN two weeks before vaccinating against VHD, even if giving LAPINJECT or ANIVAC.

Well done Tamsin :thumb:

good point. i do this with bisc and matt. i leave at least a month between the vaccs.

That's really interesting. Thanks for putting this together. Mine have never had a reaction to a jab, but my vet used Lapinject and has now swapped to Anivac. Hopefully they never will, looking at the results.

This is interesting. Both of mine had Cylap with no reaction - would you know if this means that they'll always be reaction free? Or can the reaction occur at any time?

My bunnies are off to the vets this week for their VHD jabs. Bramble has never had a reaction to Cylap, but this will be Bungee's first time. Can you insist that they use something else?

My bunnies are off to the vets this week for their VHD jabs. Bramble has never had a reaction to Cylap, but this will be Bungee's first time. Can you insist that they use something else?

I think it depends on the vets. My vets will not use something else unless they have a reaction. I even offered to pay the extra for Anivac too.

It's your rabbit so if you request a different brand then your vets should be happy to arrange that, though you'll usually have to request in advance so there is time to order and there maybe a difference in cost. Print the info off and discuss it with your vet if you are worried :)

Interesting, thanks for doing this. :wave: I missed the survey, but of my 5 bunnies only one had a reaction to a vaccination. Sunnie went into stasis half a day after a Myxo jab. But you never know how much of that is down to the stress of having to travel to the vet, dogs in the waiting room, pain from the injection, etc..

Hi, I'm quite interested in this thread.

My bun had his Myxi last week & although he was absolutely fine the next day, when he came back from the vets, he seemed as if he was sulking and wouldn't eat anything. Obviously we were concerned and worried all night but as I said he was just fine the next day.

Any thoughts on this? He's due his VHD soon and I don't want the worry again.

Thanks

Hi, I'm quite interested in this thread.

My bun had his Myxi last week & although he was absolutely fine the next day, when he came back from the vets, he seemed as if he was sulking and wouldn't eat anything. Obviously we were concerned and worried all night but as I said he was just fine the next day.

Any thoughts on this? He's due his VHD soon and I don't want the worry again.

Thanks

Sounds like he reacted to the stress of going to the Vet rather than the Myxo Vaccine

Yes, usually it takes a couple of days to recover if they feel off so he may have just sulked because of the vet trip :) If you are worried though, just ask your vet to use Lapinject or Anivac and that will minimise the risk of a reaction.

Bunnies often feel more relaxed if the are used to the carrier too, so letting him play in it over the next week should may him more used to it for next time :)

Back