• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange noise

Raccooon

New Kit
Hey,

Just recently I re-homed two 2 year old boys, named Bumble and Bramble <3 I haven't gotten round to posting pics up yet :lol: Will have to remember to get round to it.

A couple of days ago I heard these... I don't know how to describe it- wheezing or squeaking? Its strange. Bumble only really makes this noise when he's resting, usually around 4-ish, but when you go over to him and stroke him he'll stop and not really make the noise again.

I was just wondering if anyone could give me any idea of what it might be, I'm relatively new to being a bunny owner so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Thanks~ :)

Boy buns can 'buzz' when they're excited.
But as he's resting I wonder if it's a snotty nose at all. Obviously I'm not a vet but it was the first thing that came to mind. Check for any crispiness around his nose and the inside of his front paws.

But it might just be buzzing, especially if they're not neutered.

I would say it was more of a squeak rather than a wheeze.

Sometimes it sounds a little snotty, like today. But other times it just sounds like a squeaky wheeze. I'm starting to think that maybe he could be snoring? But I wouldn't really know. :?

I'll make sure to check his feet and nose ^^ Oh~ And they are neutered :)

I would take him to see a vet for a checkover. Nutmeg has a problem with her chest and wheezes squeakily when she sleeps, when Mischa recently had snuffles he also wheezed when he slept.

whats he doing when he makes this noise?

My bun, Fiver grunts, growls and squeaks and he makes a "purring" noise when resting whereas Ellie only grunts and bruxes (teeth chatters)

Could just be a general sound he makes or maybe an infection.

I would say it was more of a squeak rather than a wheeze.

Sometimes it sounds a little snotty, like today. But other times it just sounds like a squeaky wheeze. I'm starting to think that maybe he could be snoring? But I wouldn't really know. :?

I'll make sure to check his feet and nose ^^ Oh~ And they are neutered :)

Bunnies shouldn't snore by the way. Nutmeg does but only cos she has this weakness in her lungs.

Just thought I would update the thread, he still makes the noise at the same time in the afternoon when he lays down but isn't showing any other symptoms of illness.

I phoned up the vet for advice and he said not to worry and if it got any worse, more frequent or was coupled with more symptoms to bring him in for a check up.

Thank you for your advice.

Back