• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shall I bond my two pairs to make a foursome?

Emma J B

Young Bun
I have two pairs of buns that live side by side in sheds with attached runs. The runs are joined together with a wire mesh partition. Mist and Smoke have lived together for about two years, Barney and Bella for a couple of months and so have lived next to each other for a couple of months. In this time they have all lived quite happily with no chasing up and down the wire. Sometimes they all sit together in a little group. Sould I have a go at bonding them or would I be better to leave them as they are? I wouldn't want to risk upsetting the existing bonds. It would be nice to have them as a group of four (we could take out the partition and they would have loads of space). Has anyone had experience of bonding two pairs? Is the bonding of two pairs usually successful or are they best left as pairs? What are your opinions please?

If you have the space for a 4 then its certainly worth a try. It would need to be done in a neutral area though. Often rescues will bond for you for a fee which might be less stressful

I did this and it worked eventually - was very stressful though. the fact yours have lived side by side may make it a little easier and the fact you are not getting referred agression.

I would give it a go but you will have to totally neutralise the hutch and runs and would have to bond away from the area.
Personally with a group I would get someone with a bit of experience to do it for you

Thanks for replies. Can't make my mind up whether it's worth the stress (for me) and the upheaval for them. If I could guarantee a happy ending I would definitely give it a go, but we all know bonding buns is not always straight forward.

I would give it a go but you will have to totally neutralise the hutch and runs and would have to bond away from the area.
Personally with a group I would get someone with a bit of experience to do it for you

I agree, plus the bonus is that they will be totally away from any previous smells and itll give you chance to neutralise everything. I tried it with mine, and it seemed to work but then one kicked off sadly

Back