• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Omg, stinky glands

Just thought I would share my afternoon's entertainment. One of my male buns has been honking for a little while and today he stinks so much I have had to do something about it for fear of him becoming a fly magnet. Now I have done some procedures on various animals over the years including sheath cleaning on a horse (now days I know people think it's better to leave alone). Anyway, I took the plunge and decided to give his glands a little help :shock:, thank god for cotton buds, vaseline and a nappy bag to stick all in after. I have never held my breath so long. I must be in love to be able to sort it out!
I just hope I did the right thing and that it's ok to do it. He's now happily free ranging munching grass with his brother while I breathe in fresh air with a strong coffee!

Feeling glad I have girl piggies!

edited to say: - actually I have just noticed you are talking about a rabbit not a guinea pig!

I've had to do Gertie's before. Luckily, she didn't smell but once I disturbed what was there - I feel your pain! :lol:
I know someone who's bun was attracting flies and it was his scent glands that caused it. Once cleaned, the flies buzzed off. :)

I sit mine up on my lap and hold my breath too............
I use damp cotton wool so same difference!!!!!
They can get infected so honky glands are best cleaned, boy or girl!
Oh the all do gross things for a bun yips!!!!

Sorry to sound stupid...And I figure at least were talking bottoms here.....but what do you mean by cleaning ther glands??

Sorry to sound stupid...And I figure at least were talking bottoms here.....but what do you mean by cleaning ther glands??

They have little pouches in the skin on either side of the willy, called scent glands. They fill up with smelly, black, waxy bunny ID stuff. If the pouches get too full or slightly infected it's really pongy & we have to clean them out.
Fortunately my boy keeps them clean himself!:lol:

Hmmmm.Me thinks disabled bunnies would have more problems than fitter bunnies.....
I once asked Ian what they were as Lilys were a bit mucky.I discovered hers quite by accident, but Mrs and Rolands are squeaky clean!!

Hmmmm.Me thinks disabled bunnies would have more problems than fitter bunnies.....
I once asked Ian what they were as Lilys were a bit mucky.I discovered hers quite by accident, but Mrs and Rolands are squeaky clean!!

Thanks yvette. That was the most tactful way to remind me that both sexes have them possible. :D
I guess disabled buns do have more problems especially if it's hard for them to get totheir caecals.

Thanks yvette. That was the most tactful way to remind me that both sexes have them possible. :D
I guess disabled buns do have more problems especially if it's hard for them to get totheir caecals.

And fat bunnies maybe. Gertie's have been fine since she's shifted the weight. The bunny who I mentioned before is an elderly bunny, so maybe that's why his got mucky.

I only noticed them on my male rabbit before he was neutered - haven't had any problem since neutering - so was just wondering if your bunny has been neutered?

I only noticed them on my male rabbit before he was neutered - haven't had any problem since neutering - so was just wondering if your bunny has been neutered?

They can still need cleaning out in neutered buns of both sexes.
I was really surprised to learn that buns recognised both each other & us by scent. It's not just a sexual thing.
When they scrabble something underneath them they are as good as putting a label on it MINE with their scent glands. Fortunately I don't smell either form of labelling! :lol:

They can still need cleaning out in neutered buns of both sexes.
I was really surprised to learn that buns recognised both each other & us by scent. It's not just a sexual thing.
When they scrabble something underneath them they are as good as putting a label on it MINE with their scent glands. Fortunately I don't smell either form of labelling! :lol:

:lol:

Hannah.mc you'd all be laughing to hear the conversations in this house.
Fortunately Thumper mostly chin scents - obsessive about his food -"I'm not going to steal your hay, plantain, or hawthorn, love". It's my disgusting old gardening shoes he really goes for though -"You're on a loser there mate". (Anything at ground level is either OURS or he labels on my behalf) :lol:

Back on topic with the rear end. Does anyone know how to get scent gland stuff off material? Thumper's toy rabbit looks disgusting in one place, but is cleaned & doesn't smell.

Fortunately Thumper mostly chin scents - obsessive about his food -"I'm not going to steal your hay, plantain, or hawthorn, love". It's my disgusting old gardening shoes he really goes for though -"You're on a loser there mate". (Anything at ground level is either OURS or he labels on my behalf) :lol:

Back on topic with the rear end. Does anyone know how to get scent gland stuff off material? Thumper's toy rabbit looks disgusting in one place, but is cleaned & doesn't smell.

My buns chin scent more too!

My new gentleman chins my lady through the fence dividing them. She will submit to him but other times she nips his fur so he flicks wee on her!!!! LOL!!!!! Revolting!!!!!

Is your question how to get the scent stain off Master Thumper's toy bun? If it's washed clean and doesn't smell I would imagine the only options would be bleach or harsh chemicals which you wouldn't really want near him.

I have yet to discover Isaac's scent glands......he trusts me but he has flipping massive back paws so don't want one of them in my eye!!!!

LOL!!!!!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread...............:oops:

I quite like the smell of bunny scent glands :shock::shock::oops::oops::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:.I have smelt a lot worse ;)

Can you cut the offending bit off then restitch?

My buns chin scent more too!

My new gentleman chins my lady through the fence dividing them. She will submit to him but other times she nips his fur so he flicks wee on her!!!! LOL!!!!! Revolting!!!!!

Is your question how to get the scent stain off Master Thumper's toy bun? If it's washed clean and doesn't smell I would imagine the only options would be bleach or harsh chemicals which you wouldn't really want near him.

I have yet to discover Isaac's scent glands......he trusts me but he has flipping massive back paws so don't want one of them in my eye!!!!

LOL!!!!!

Sorry to hi-jack your thread...............:oops:
Tee hee, you'll have to save that up for a special occasion! :D

My buns tend to smell pretty awful after they've eaten grass. Is this their poo or their scent glands?

It only seems to happen when they've been out on the grass. :?

Back