• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is she deaf?

Jay&Kirsty

Young Bun
Just thought the other day that Gracie might be deaf. Never really twigged before but when we came home the other day went upstairs into their room and on opening the door Chewy was obviously startled - could tell he was ready to run! But Gracie just carried on cleaning herself and it's only when I got close to her that she jumped and noticed me.

Chewy runs for cover when the hoover comes out but Gracie you literally have to nudge her with it before she moves or she moves when she feels the breeze from it.

Chewy points his little ears in the direction he's looking/walking whilst Gracies just flop about as she hops :)

We never thought about it before because if you rattle their food or they hear rustling of wrappers they both come running but now were thinking perhaps she is just following him thinking 'if he's running their must be food somewhere'

Anybody think she's probs deaf? How would a vet check, and would it cause her any stress. Assuming she's been deaf since birth, she's only 1 and a half.....we both felt really sorry for her after thinking she might be, poor lil mite! But maybe she doesnt know any differant.

Maybe better to try the 'treat' test while she is on her own so she can't follow the other one, don't separate completely but just get someone to hold the other one briefly or something and try it, I'm sure there must be some form of test at the vets but most likely it might be stressful. Might be better to just keep observing her and seeing if you can piece together that she isn't hearing things' quite often my rabbits will hear like a noise and respond to it by pricking ears up - periscoping and looking around sort of thing, does she ever do that?

Well actually she does get jumpy time to time and will thump the ground for no apparent reason when Chewy doesnt bat an eye lid...

Will keep monitoring it, she's due at the vets this month for her myxo jab so will see what they say, won't have anybody prodding or poking just for the sake of it. She's a happy lil bunny so it obviously can't be affecting her

Back