• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fleece

Alicia

Mama Doe
Can Fleece be used for bedding in the rabbits hutch even if they are not fully litter trained? They use their litter tray about 60% of the time but aren't fully trained but they mostly pee in the litter tray. As they are not entirely litter trained how often should I change the fleece?

:lol: Ok, maybe I'll keep them on straw for now

:lol: my piggies were on fleece and not litter trained and I had to clean the fleece everyday. It was a right nuisance. Fur was all over the fleece which I couldn't get off and wee just poured out when I was washing it. Totally gross, so I reckon it would be the same for un-litter trained buns! x

Do you think vetbed would work? I have a big piece of vetbed that I don't use, it wouldn't fit the whole hutch but it might fit part of it, and I could put straw in the other parts?

You can do, but I often find my rabbits when they weren't fully littered trained would pee and poo all over the fleece. They used to love it though, I gave it to them at floor time and they would binky all over it and dig it everywhere so it may not be a suitable flooring unless you hold it down as I find mine love to dig.. and dig.. and dig fleece..

Though I should say I used Fleece bedding method when Cooper wasn't litter trained with him. (same as for guinea pigs..) and Cooper started getting ill, he stopped pooing and eatting and had a look through his poops he did make and they're was some fleece fibres in it. Brought him to the vet and she wasn't 100% sure it was the fleece but we do think it was. It could of been stress and that or something else too.
Thats why he only gets it with me supervising him now. He didn't actually dig a hole in it though, just pulled off some fibres from it..

Off topic and not about rabbits but Mischief and tinkers mum - did you use the fleece method right with your guinea pigs? A layer or two of towels, and then one layer of fleece over it? Did you wash your fleece at least three times before the first use? When the fleece gets washed it can wick and allows liquid to pass through it, then the towels soak up the urine and you sweep poos daily. I use fleece for my piggys and only change once a week and no smell whats so ever.

Back