• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What age myxi jab for wildies?

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
We gave all the 'normal' babies their myxi jabs last week as they are 8 weeks old.

The vet said that actually they could be given at 7 weeks and wants to jab Pippin this week as he will be 7 weeks BUT being a wild bun (and having missed out on a couple of weeks of mums milk) he is still really small (about 500gms) so I am really worried about giving him the jab.

Has anyone else vaccd their wild babies and if so when???

It's so long ago I can't remember when I vaccinated either Benji or Merry. I think Benji was a bit older but it took me a while to find out they needed vaccines and he arrived at 2 months old with a broken leg. I think he was about 6 months old, he was the first rabbit at our vets to get the VHD too!
I think Merry was a couple of months old when she was done.

actually I think she did say 6 weeks . . but they were already 7weeks when I rang to do it - except Pippin.

The thing is he is SO much smaller than all the rest - only just at 500gms . . .

I just feel so concerned that its the same amount of vaccine and he is half the size.

But we are in a high risk area . .
(overprotective bunny mum here)

actually I think she did say 6 weeks . . but they were already 7weeks when I rang to do it - except Pippin.

The thing is he is SO much smaller than all the rest - only just at 500gms . . .

I just feel so concerned that its the same amount of vaccine and he is half the size.

But we are in a high risk area . .
(overprotective bunny mum here)

How much would a baby nethie weight at that age, I'm guessing they are very small. Vaccines cover all sizes.

Back