• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mothers and Babies.... help/advice

Chipmunk_K

Mama Doe
A recent emergency rescue came in almost 2 weeks ago. Flossie was part of a group of 7 all mixed around girls and boys, We were sure of them being pretty pregnant. Anyway Flossie with me seemed the calmest of the lot, but a weary of being touched. She has been building and destroying nests since I've had her, she gave birth this morning, and I found 4 scattered and dead, they were about the size of 1-2 week old babies (have had rescues give birth in the past - if you remember ivy and family) so I know the normal size of a kit, and these were huge. One of the 7 is a male conti (mummy is a small lionhead cross) anyway I messed up the nest looking through for the dead kits, and mummy has now systematically made another nest thick with fur, I've left her now sitting in it

My wonderings are has anyone had experience with Mummies who have lost their kits still making nests, or have mums who have had babies in stages, or is it possible the babies were too many and too big, and those four got pushed out and she is still carrying 1 or 2?

I am totally at a loss I've never lost kits until 2 weeks plus (I know I've been very fortunate in that sense)

We never expected the babies to survive the amount of stress these poor bunnies have been under, but Flossies behaviour is puzzling me, and I am a little concerned, though she is fine and healthy in her self.

Any experience stories would be welcome...

Bumping this up, i have no idea. Im hoping she is confused and isn't carrying any more :( How awful for the poor baby after what shes been through already. I know i can't do much but if you need me anytime just call. Thinking of you and Flossie x

From what I remember when I had the babies, and was researching, female rabbits have two uterine horns which means they can carry 2 seperate pregnancies at the same time and give birth to the two litters up to a week apart, apparently this is rare, but possible. Hope that helps

i am still quite a newbie with rabbits. so forgive me if this doesnt help.

2 months ago daisy my beautiful rabbit gave birth to 2 dead babies. they were both larger than average and dead on arrival. 24 hours late she gave birth to a third baby again dead, then 16 hours later a 4th. also dead. She saw the vet, who couldn't give me a definite cause. but throughout this daisy kept making nests. so it may be possible.

Flossie is just the same as last night, still bright and happy in her self, but she is still pulling out fur and lining her nest - at the rate she's going she'll have no fur left, :shock: if she is still at it this afternoon when I get back from work, I am gonna phone a vet , and ask their opinion.

i am still quite a newbie with rabbits. so forgive me if this doesnt help.

2 months ago daisy my beautiful rabbit gave birth to 2 dead babies. they were both larger than average and dead on arrival. 24 hours late she gave birth to a third baby again dead, then 16 hours later a 4th. also dead. She saw the vet, who couldn't give me a definite cause. but throughout this daisy kept making nests. so it may be possible.

I knew there was someone who had a bunny give birth periodically, I think there is someone else on here it happened to the other year as well..... it all helps, just different experiences, as this is not something I've ever had, all my nest builders, had built a nest and had babies, or built a nest, then destroyed it (phantom pregs)

goodness ..sound like HUGE babies ..:shock: ..poor thing .

my main concern would be that there isnt a baby/babies stuck .

if she seems ok ..eating etc i would leave be for now and see what happens but watch her closely .

if she seems distressed or in pain perhaps a vet visit .

alternatively perhaps talk to vet about admitting in case she needs an emegency op....but this will obviously unsettle and upset her .

crikey .. im scared for her ..normal size babies are hard enough to birth .:?

not had experience of babies being born more than a an hour or so apart but have read about it .
sounds like there could be more to come to me . :?

Well she still seems okay, her tummy is soft again now, instead of the taught stretched pregnant feel that they get, so I'm hoping it is all over, the nest is jam packed with fur, but she seems to have stopped pulling it out now (poor lass she is gettin very thin underneath)

Back