• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Died screaming!

Wamp

New Kit
On 5th of June 4:20 AM I lost my rabbit girl named Lady Gaga :(
I had her for 8 months, she was probably more than a year old. She was completely well, no strange signs or anything.
On 3th of June I noticed that my bunnies (I had Lady Gaga and still have Eddie) have not eaten and drunk water as much as they did before.
The next night they spent their night in a new hutch outside the house. In the morning Eddie was completely alright, young and crazy as always. Lady Gaga was just lying in a corner, trying to hide. I knew- something is not right.
We took her to vets. I was sure vets will do everything and she will be fine.
They said that something is wrong with one of her teeth and that it's painful for her to eat. They gave me medicine to feed to her.
I did everything as they said after we took her home. I was feeding her, giving her water through the syringe. I went to bed very worried, because she didn't look better. I gave her the last look with a tear in my eye feeling something bad was coming.
At 4:15 AM I woke up from her screaming (It was like a baby scream), I run to the living room, she was lying on one side, breathing slow, moving her legs like in pain, like she wanted to run somewhere but couldn't.
I rushed to the kitchen to get pain relief that vets gave me, after giving her that she made her last scream...and she stopped breathing.
I felt useless, broken, crying... couldn't sleep at all, sinking in my own tears.
Blaming myself for not staying with her all night long and feeding her.

I have never liked doctors, but now I hate them even more, if they would know more, check her more than her mouth and would be more interested in animals than money, maybe they would see that "the thing" was probably not in her mouth. If they would see it coming I would agree on putting her to "never ending sleep", to prevent her pain.

Maybe somebody has experienced the same (I hope not, cuz it's disturbing), but I still want to find out what happened!!!

So sorry that this happenet have been awful for both of you.

Rabbits can be very difficult to diagnose as they hide pain so it may not be your vets fault that they didnt see whatever it was. Did you have a post mortem done? It could have been a number of different things that caused it some of which wouldnt have been immediately obvious and may have needed tests and scans to show up eg heart problems.

Are you thinking of getting a new friend for your other bun?

I'm so sorry. :cry: Sounds a bit like VHD? *hugs* to you. Rest in peace Lady Gaga x

So sorry that this happenet have been awful for both of you.

Quite a big question for someone who's just lost their bun? :(

Last edited:
Oh how awful for you. I've not experience a bunny scream before but I can imagine it's very distressing..

So sorry for your loss xx

God how awful.........
I've heard growls and grunts but never screams!!!!!!!!
I hope your pain,upset and angry resolves soon xxxxxxxxx

Did you have a post mortem done?

No, we didn't have post mortem done, I actually don't know why we didn't do it, probably we were afraid of expenses.

And yes, we got a friend for Eddie (white as well, but a little bit skinnier), it just made me calm to see him at least happy .

No, we didn't have post mortem done, I actually don't know why we didn't do it, probably we were afraid of expenses.

And yes, we got a friend for Eddie (white as well, but a little bit skinnier), it just made me calm to see him at least happy .

You have enough to deal with at the time it must have been awful for you. Im glad Eddie is happy and you feel able to talk over what you experienced

I'm so sorry for your loss, a rabbit scream is a sound i will never forget. Mine was due to a bond that broke in the middle of the night and one bun ripping the other bun apart. Took the vets a lot of time but both made it till 9 yrs old.
Anyway sorry for going off the track. My bunny Rodger was trying to scream while having a fit and heart attack but he couldn't get any sound out. Poor boy.:(

My thoughts are with you and Eddie and so glad he has a new friend.:D

So sorry to hear your bun has passed away.
I wonder if they were vaccinated against VHD.
This can cause death within a several hours, vets can find no reason for the "apprant illness" .
Only a PM would show this.

Sadly previous inexperience of this by me, has given me valuable experience of this:?

I hope your other bunny is ok, and that it was just a sad misfortune for you and bun:cry:

I'm so sorry for your loss a rabbit scream is a sound that is so bloodcurdling:(

I'll never forget when Kiwi my housebunny was ill and kept screaming before he passed away with suspected myxi which caused him to go blind. He used scream on the way to the vets, when eating and drinking and if i left him alone.

I might be wrong but I think the lying down and kicking is a part of the process of your bunny's body shutting down (or as I like to think of it running to get to rainbow bridge for endless binkies)

I hope Eddie is happy with his new friend:)

Back