• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cross Re Hutch Homecheck

honeybunny

Wise Old Thumper
I am getting a bit fed up with going to homecheck people who have bought their hutches from our RSPCA..then finding the hutch is 3 foot:evil:
Now call me old fashioned but if an organisation has put time and effort into helping with a Welfare Bill that reccommends certain minimum sizes..shouldn't all their branches stick to these sizes?
Twice in the last 2 weeks I have found a 3 foot hutch set on a 3 foot by 5 foot run..both bought in the last 9 months and both times for a pair of rabbits.
Also both times were told it would be great left on grass so the buns can graze..yep wonderful but what about the rabbits digging out or a fox digging in..neither mentioned..
The lady tonight was lovely and also not happy she had been sold something that is unsuitable..on my advice she is going to try to alter an old wendy house they have and then get back to me

but I do feel like the head and brick wall will be meeting again

Any other rescues come across this?

That is truly insane - why are they selling them when they will fail their own home check?!!

My only complaint about the practice that Jason Burgess works at is that they only sell one hutch and run, both of which are too small. How can you advocate good rabbit welfare then sell substandard accommodation? If you're only going to sell one hutch it should meet minimum standards or why bother at all?

aww it's a shame you're spending your time going to homecheck these people when it's just a wasted trip. :( Have you thought about asking for accommodation pics before you go to visit someone? Might prevent a wasted trip! :)

It's sad that these people want to do something good by adopting but get given the wrong information by other rescue organisations.

Jill, I find it amazing too to be honest.

I have also had people approaching me to adopt saying that they've passed an RSPCA homecheck only for me to tell them that their set up isn't good enough.

I also find it amazing that an RSPCA centre doesn't homecheck or bond, or do both vaccinations (or at the very least insist it is done).

The rabbits I've just taken in (via RSPCA) came with paperwork and it says that they 'may be vaccinated for VHD' not that it is a requirement. Plus I know that this branch simply do not homecheck.

I find this very sad and incredibly annoying.

I went to our local rspca to look at rabbits and explained setup and one bun I really liked was an outdoor, needed to wait a few weeks before bonding and was going to get a new hutch, they had a few for sale, well donations but were all way too small but told me they were fine.
I ended up going elsewere as rabbit wasnt vaccinated or neutered yet.

My stepmum whos not to bunny knowledged up even commented afterwards that the hutch's were small,

That makes no sense. Maybe the fault is that they are not educating all their shop staff about what hutch sizes are suitable for what animal. Have you complained to the RSPCA in question?

I am really shocked at that although each branch operates differently. Is it a specific branch? Could you approach them?

It must be horrible to have to say the set up is not suitable when the person has sought help from another animal welfare organisation

It must be so frustrating for you and the homecheckees. You have to see it from their point of view that they took advice form the people who supposedly set the standard for welfare in this country just for you to say that what they have isn't up to scratch.

However, I definitely agree that what they are asking for is awful and you should definitely not accept the same standard. It would just be useful if they actually enforced what they say owners should provide.

I find my self justifying my standards when compared with the RSPCA by explaining that they are multi species rescues and don't have the same understanding as those of us who deal specifically deal with bunnies.

At our branch their is a very nice girl who is in charge of the small animals ..but most of the people I've checked and failed on accommodation size have spoken to this person when there and buying the housing.
This branch also says they homecheck for rabbits..but don't if you buy one of their hutches..fine but not if those hutches are unsuitable

I find my self justifying my standards when compared with the RSPCA by explaining that they are multi species rescues and don't have the same understanding as those of us who deal specifically deal with bunnies.

That's still rubbish though as there are plenty of multi species rescues that have high standards and know what they are talking about. The RSPCA really can't hide behind being multi species, they are just not bothered about certain animals.

I'd been on here first to research and even pm'd rescues for advice on their homing policy before my OH built our 6' hutch (not easy to buy at the time).

Then one branch of RSPCA inspected me when I applied to adopt from another.

The inspector was lovely and asked all the right questions about holiday cover/vets etc. but this was from a dog checklist and he seemed quite bemused at doing this for rabbits.

My local branch recently had a 'rabbit day'. The staff were friendly and helpful and the rabbits clean and cared for but the hutches for sale were poor.

Just shows how different branches are.

Have you approached the branch to see why they are selling such small hutches? Which branch is it?

That's still rubbish though as there are plenty of multi species rescues that have high standards and know what they are talking about. The RSPCA really can't hide behind being multi species, they are just not bothered about certain animals.

We are known as a 'rabbit' branch here in Walsall, but i would like to think i knew something about, and cared about all the animals we rehome. I hate how 'the RSPCA' is tarred with the same brush and belittled all the time. If people were saying this about our branch i would want them to be saying it to me so i could do something about it.

Have you approached the branch to see why they are selling such small hutches? Which branch is it?

We are known as a 'rabbit' branch here in Walsall, but i would like to think i knew something about, and cared about all the animals we rehome. I hate how 'the RSPCA' is tarred with the same brush and belittled all the time. If people were saying this about our branch i would want them to be saying it to me so i could do something about it.

I understand exactly where you are coming from, about blanket statements, but unfortunately my personal experience from being a volunteer at our local main centre (Millbrook) to being asked recently by a third party if I'd speak to our local inspector about taking in their rabbits despite Millbrook being empty, leaves me feeling pretty unimpressed.

Also my recent dealings with the Horsham harlequins too, where that branch doesn't homecheck or vaccinate fully or is even able to confirm completely that the buns are spayed leaves me totally dismayed. I know not all branches are the same; a franchise type branch, not that near us in Berkshire, is just for rabbits and tries really hard to do their best for the animals.

Sounds like the SSPCA too. On the one hand they do a great job taking animals out of horrible situations but they have no clue about rabbits and do not really care :evil: My local independant rescue, Paws Here is much better and advocate decent accomodation, diet and vet care.

Becky I am not tarring you all with the same brush..hence why I said in my 1st post my "local branch"
I know you all differ and some, such as yours, are so much better thas others
but by the same token..I get fed up that whenever anyone has a complaint/bad experience with an RSPCA branch we are made to feel we shouldn't say anything:?
And I will take an oppotunity to try to say something..but it is a very large branch who give away the RWA leaflets with adopted pets..so I am sure they are already well aware of the Welfare Bill..plus some of their staff/volunteers read this site .
They do no end of good work as deal with a huge number of unwanted cat and dogs. They are, like us, near big areas of low income families where pet ownership is often taken lightly or as a means to make a quick few quid..so fighting a losing battle.
Also like to point out that the girl who looks afte them usually gives out good advice, I know she has upped her rabbit knowledge no end in recent years..even bumped into her on a course! and their accommodation at the centre was completely re built a couple of years ago and improved no end..so most is good.
But rabbit housing, well why have for sale items that are not acceptable:( It may simply be that those set up have always be bought in and just a habit or ordering /selling them by a very busy centre...but as the recs stand they don't, as we can say , fit the bill!

Last edited:
I'd encourage them to try and return the hutch for a refund on the grounds it's 'not fit for purpose'.

I didn't mean you and your branch, sorry if it came over that way :wave:. I meant the RSPCA in general as an organisation see small furries as not as important. For example I know someone who has fostered rats for the RSPCA as the branch in her area has no facilities for them. She has always paid for everything they have needed herself (obviously using the RSPCA vet for free if needed). About a year ago she was told by someone else that fosters in another part of the country that she could get some financial help with food, bedding etc. so decided to ask about it. Apparently the branch manager was lovely about it and spoke to the trustees who said no because the money needs to be spent on important stuff not rats.

So very sad to hear that an animal welfare organisation such as the RSPCA sells inadiquate housing:(
I'd love to be able to visit any pet store and only see hutches of 6foot and bigger, but if the organisation that could possibly be the one to make that happen sells silly sized housing what hope is there????:(

Back