• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your top tips for keeping rabbits calm during a car journey??

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
As the title says really.

After changing to a closer vet because the bunnies were getting stressed on the drive to their 'normal' vet ......... and having an awful experience at the new vets, I've decided they should go back to their 'normal' vet who is lovely with them, has come highly recommended (Thanks Tuckerbunnies) and whom I have lots of faith in.

Problem is, on a busy day its a 45 min drive ........ so, any top tips you have on keeping the bunnies calm and as least stressed as possible would be really appreciated.

(It'll just be me and the buns in the car - if that makes a difference!?!?)!

Thaaaanks xx

start the engine BEFORE you put them in the car.

Make sure the temperature in the car is not desimilar to their environment (Eg, if outdoor buns, keep it cool in the car, if indoor buns, keep it warmer).

Dont have loud blaring music.

You wont STOP them being stressed, but it may help a little :)

I don't think my buns would ever be completely comfortable in the car as it's so unnatural for them, but these are the things I do (nothing extraordinary I'm afraid, I'm sure others will come up with better ideas):

1) I talk to them, all the way, in the same silly voice I use when I talk to them at home :D:oops:

2) I have the window open a little to let fresh air in.

3) Radio off.

4) Strap the carrier in with the seatbelt so it stays as stable as possible (if I'm on my own), or if my OH is with me the carrier goes on his lap and he levels it when we go round corners :lol::love:

5) In the carrier I put their blankie that has their smell on it.

6) I just generally drive carefully and don't take bends too quickly so they aren't thrown about too much.

I'm sure you do all these things already, though. Would be interested to see if anyone else has some other ideas :)

Thanks both, got most of those covered - except starting the engine before I put them in! Will give that one a try.

Do any of you cover your carrier over?? I haven't done but wondered if this may help or freak them out more, not being able to see out! (obviously this wouldn't be done if it would make them too hot)!

Any others??

I don't cover the carrier, but it's one of those plastic ones that is fairly enclosed all over, with narrow slits all round for air flow. If it was a carrier made of just mesh (you can get those white mesh ones that are just a mesh box), I think I would be tempted to put something at least over the top of it, so they didn't feel quite so exposed.

I do everything that's been mentioned, except I do have the radio on quietly as they have a radio in their room and are used to it :wave: I also try to take my OH with me so one of us can sit in back seat with them and stroke them all the way, making sure they can't get out of the carrier of course. And having them both in the same carrier helps too :wave:
Oh, I don't cover them up by the way :wave:

Buy a rubber bottomed door mat to put at the bottom of the carrier. They can dig their claws into this and it doesn't slip around. I think mine was about £2 from QD. I have it in the hutch too so it has their smell all over it and I transfer it to the carrier when I use it. This is my best tip as my rabbits have been more stressed when they couldn't get a grip.

Results in chilled out bunnehs.

DSC00326.jpg

;)

if possible i put my hands in the box to prevent them moving around and to calm them. If not I talk or sing to them, they seem calmer when i so this :D

Leo sits on my shoulder and looks out of the window.
Lois hates it no matter what we do.
A&B just flop wherever they go, although as soon as we get in the vets A starts thumping!

Back