• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

P@H adoption rabbits must be neutered

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
I was adopting a hamster the other day (details in general chat) and while reading the adoption rules i noticed it said "adoption rabbits must be neutered within 6 months of adoption and a neutering voucher will be given".

I thought that was pretty good practice, now just need them to have the same contract for their for sale rabbits..........

From what I remember, the adoption rabbits are not neutered in store before adoption, but it's says in small print that the new owner must neuter within 6 months of ownership, which is great, but the stores don't go and visit every rabbit thats rehomed to ensure they have been done. I'd imagine a lot of people don't bother.

My friend adopted and unspayed three legged bun and she was told nothing about spaying.

When I adopted Dizzee he wasn' neutered and they never metioned neutering, ust he comes with a 10% voucher incase you want to :roll:

It is national and is in the "contract" thing you sign when you adopt them. Most don't bother telling you this. The P@H I work in (I work for Companioncare Vets) didn't tell any of their customers until we started forcing them too :roll:

They didn't like doing it incase it put of potenital adopters :roll:

I think that's a shame Shelley, in particular as Horsham is where the head offices of both the RWA and RSPCA are. You'd think that they might want to set an example...................or not?:(

I know it is a real shame but im sure they dont as before i got Lola there were a couple of girly buns i looked at and they hadnt been spayed and recently they has a gorgeous mini lop called teddy, he was 5yrs old and was in the adoption area as unneutered. I am surprised as the RSPCA often have stalls set up in our branch and charity tins so you'd think they'd have advised p@h that its best to neuter before they rehome them. Horsham have quite a few rescues that work alongside p@h such as cats protection and holbrook animal rescue but i still hear alot of bad reports about the welfare of their animals :(

From what I remember, the adoption rabbits are not neutered in store before adoption, but it's says in small print that the new owner must neuter within 6 months of ownership, which is great, but the stores don't go and visit every rabbit thats rehomed to ensure they have been done. I'd imagine a lot of people don't bother.

They never advised me to neuter Buster and they didnt tell me to vaccinate him either, the woman who sold him to me was surpised when i told her i had got him neutered. Its surprising how many people assume that you cant/wouldnt neuter/spay a rabbit :shock: to some people its still alien to have them in the house and not in the garden :roll:

I know it is a real shame but im sure they dont as before i got Lola there were a couple of girly buns i looked at and they hadnt been spayed and recently they has a gorgeous mini lop called teddy, he was 5yrs old and was in the adoption area as unneutered. I am surprised as the RSPCA often have stalls set up in our branch and charity tins so you'd think they'd have advised p@h that its best to neuter before they rehome them. Horsham have quite a few rescues that work alongside p@h such as cats protection and holbrook animal rescue but i still hear alot of bad reports about the welfare of their animals :(

They are missing a very big opportunity right there!

there was one in there today and it said he was in adoption because all his friends had been sold, are they allowed to do this?, previous older stock?

They are missing a very big opportunity right there!

Definatly. The problem with the Horsham branch is the high turn over of young staff. It might just be me but i like to build a rapore with shops that im always in and its even better when your friendly with pet shops as they find it easier to take your advice/critisim on the animals :roll: i can honestly say in the 3 yrs ive been going in there staff have changed almost on a monthly basis. There's only 1 lady in our branch (who is slightly older) that generally knows the animals and their needs the rest are just young boys that dont have a clue and dont want to have a clue. They are lazy, dont really care about the animals and cant be bothered to help you with your queries. Its probably the fact that their wages are quite low, it doesnt afftract the right people im my opinion

there was one in there today and it said he was in adoption because all his friends had been sold, are they allowed to do this?, previous older stock?

Yes, once a 'stock' rabbit has reached 12weeks old and remains unsold its transferred into the adoption area

there was this poor doe in a small enclosure, 4yrs old said she had tto be rehome alone as didn;t wouldn;t get on with other rabbits, but she hadn;t even been given a chance as wasn't speyed

Back