• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I think I'm starting to hate my rabbits

ailz

Alpha Buck
Why can't rabbits just get along. I've been trying to get 3 neutered males bonded for nearly 3 months now. The oldest one - he is 6 - has turned into a bully. Although he is the smallest, he lives with one of the 2 younger ones and intimidates him all the time. The bigger one can only eat when allowed, mustn't have anything to do with us and spends most of his time in a corner. If he comes out of it he gets bitten.

Because of this - or as well as this - we've been trying to at least get the 2 young ones to bond. There has been a bit of sparring, but now one of them has bitten a huge piece - about 2 inches by 1 inch - out of the one who was bullied's ear. These 2 younger ones were neutered in March and because they couldn't all get on, one of them Tolk has been living in a shed - with access to the garden during the day - in the back yard. The other (Trig) has been in an upstairs bedroom with the older one Tosh.

I just want it all to stop. Why do they have to try to kill one another? I know I'm being a bit Buddhist about it (they don't like all the war, so they don't watch telly or read newspapers, so that it doesn't affect them the same), but I'm getting to the stage of just wanting rid of all of them.

Have you done all the recommended things during your bonding attempts? Maybe if you change your thread title to something like 'please help, at wits end with bonding!' you might get some knowledgable people to give you advice! :wave:

If it was me I would give up as it seems that they are just not suited to each other. I feel sorry for the poor bunny who gets bullied :( and if they are starting to injure each other it doesn't seem fair to keep trying to bond them.

Is it possible for you to get 3 spayed does and have 3 male/femal pairs instead of a trio? Alternatively have you thought of rehoming 2 of them through a rescue and just adopting one rescue doe for your remaining buck?

Aww its a shame you feel like that. As with people, there is always some one you dont get along with and despite trying your hardest you just cant like them. This maybe the case with your buns. Also bonding males is the hardest type of bond to do, hence most people have male/female pairs. I wouldnt give up on them. Ive got a pair that ive not been able to bond. The male really hurt my female and she was left with lots of deep gashes and scratches. Maybe try and ask a rescue to bond them for you or seek help from someone who is more experienced. Thats what im doing with my two. Good luck and i really hope you get them bonded

If it was me I would give up as it seems that they are just not suited to each other. I feel sorry for the poor bunny who gets bullied :( and if they are starting to injure each other it doesn't seem fair to keep trying to bond them.

Is it possible for you to get 3 spayed does and have 3 male/femal pairs instead of a trio? Alternatively have you thought of rehoming 2 of them through a rescue and just adopting one rescue doe for your remaining buck?

^^^ This!

Please dont hate them, its not usual for 2 males to be together let alone 3. They are just doing what comes naturally :wave:

I would definatly seperate the one whos being bullied and allow him some time alone, doesnt sound like hes havig much of a life at the moment :(

This :wave: you might end up finding that with the 3 does your boys would thrive as a large group, I was in a similar situation to you when I first got my rabbits - 3 neutered boys who wouldn't get on, but they get on now there are girls as well.

How are you going about bonding? We could maybe give you some advice there.

I've always found boys cause the problems in bonding, I'm bonding a group at the minute and the boys want to fight it out whereas the girls stay out of the way.

Rabswood has made a very good point. Males can be very difficult to bond. Can you get in contact with a rescue who might bond them for you for a donation?

I accept that you are frustrated by the situation, but it's really unfair to say you are starting to 'hate' them.

How have you gone about the bonding process ?

I dont think it is unreasonable for a Rabbit to chose whom he/she wants as a companion. Just because it would make life easier for us is not a good enough reason to force together Rabbits who make it very clear that they do not like each other. This situation can apply regardless of gender/age.

I would give all bonding attempts a break for at least 2 months. Then maybe there is a Rescue local to you who may be able to assist with the bonding process.

Helen (The Duchess) is an experienced bonder so perhaps email her for some advice too

therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

I accept that you are frustrated by the situation, but it's really unfair to say you are starting to 'hate' them.

How have you gone about the bonding process ?

I dont think it is unreasonable for a Rabbit to chose whom he/she wants as a companion. Just because it would make life easier for us is not a good enough reason to force together Rabbits who make it very clear that they do not like each other. This situation can apply regardless of gender/age.

I would give all bonding attempts a break for at least 2 months. Then maybe there is a Rescue local to you who may be able to assist with the bonding process.

Helen (The Duchess) is an experienced bonder so perhaps email her for some advice too

therabbitcrossing@yahoo.co.uk

Helen has alot of fantastic advice, she helped me to see why my buns were fighting and the sort of things i could do to difuse it

Unfortunately, I don't have the room for having 3 rabbits all separate. We got what we thought were 2 baby girls as companions for our older rabbit when his partner died. They turned out to be boys. If they don't get on we're going to have to make a decision as to whether to get rid of one; and if so which one. They all have their own personalities. I wouldn't get rid of the old one - so that leaves one of the other two and I just don't want to go there.

I do agree with this :wave: but if the OP's only option is rebond or rehome then I guess bonding is the best option.

There is a possibility getting 1 girl to add to the trio would balance them out but it's only a possibility not a 100% thing.

Boys' hormones can take up to a year to die down, especially I've found in younger rabbits, so don't despair just yet. As Jane says I would give them a break from bonding for a while. Give them some time apart to get to know you and for you to know their personalities so you have a better idea what to expect when you put them together.

You can PM me for bonding advice as I've done a few bonds :wave: or the Duchess and Janice are both really helpful and have loads of experience.

Unfortunately, I don't have the room for having 3 rabbits all separate. We got what we thought were 2 baby girls as companions for our older rabbit when his partner died. They turned out to be boys. If they don't get on we're going to have to make a decision as to whether to get rid of one; and if so which one. They all have their own personalities. I wouldn't get rid of the old one - so that leaves one of the other two and I just don't want to go there.

I have the same problem with mine, i dont really have the space for them to be seperate but i dont want to give either up so im still holding out that i can get them bonded. If i was in your position and unable to keep all 3 seperate but wasnt able to bond them either then i would contact a rescue and either try to get them to bond them for you or as a last resort trade one/two of your males for a female and try and bond that way. As above though its not fair to keep rabbits together that are fighting and its not in their best instrests to stay together in their current situation. You have to put aside how you feel and do what best by your buns unfortunatly

I do agree with this :wave: but if the OP's only option is rebond or rehome then I guess bonding is the best option.
There is a possibility getting 1 girl to add to the trio would balance them out but it's only a possibility not a 100% thing.

Boys' hormones can take up to a year to die down, especially I've found in younger rabbits, so don't despair just yet. As Jane says I would give them a break from bonding for a while. Give them some time apart to get to know you and for you to know their personalities so you have a better idea what to expect when you put them together.

You can PM me for bonding advice as I've done a few bonds :wave: or the Duchess and Janice are both really helpful and have loads of experience.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that - If the living space cannot be adapted, I think rehoming & possibly getting a female for the existing would perhaps be kinder to the buns than spending a life being bullied/injured

I would def give them a couple of months off if I were you. Completely away from each other, & then maybe try rebonding from scratch. But remember however much the bonding, bullying & injuries are stressing you out - it's stressing them more

If the oldest is the one causing the problems could you take him out and try the other two? Would you have space for two groups? I thinking if the other two will bond could you get a female for the older one.

Also you may want to change the title by editing your first post. The title is likely to get people's backs up. I understand you are frustrated but it's likely to bring out some emotive feelings.

Back