• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me write a care sheet - I'm leaving 2 buns with family friend for a week

kanin_

Young Bun
Hi guys,

I'm off to Dorset tomorrow. I'll be gone for a week and that means a whole week away from my two lovely bunnies :( Anyway, the family that'll be looking after them have never kept rabbits before, they have 2 guineas and a very friendly pooch. I was thinking of writing up a care sheet for them; what to watch out for health-wise etc. Was wondering if anyone has anything similar already or if you have any good ideas? I don't want to scare them, just give 'em some info. I had to have a bunny put down a couple of weeks ago; she just got really sick in the space of 8 hours. This has made me really paranoid and nervy about the remaining bunnies' welfare, I keep worrying if they'll die while I'm gone. It's pretty pathetic really :S Well, please give me some ideas!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kirsty

Last edited:
I think it's a brillliant idea!!! Can't help with the write up as off to work, more experienced owners will help out I'm sure. I was thinking of doing the same with my petsitters who are coming in July for 4 days, as they aren't that familiar with buns , more cats and dogs.:wave:

Well if this gets underway I'll type it up tonight and email it to you? I've been blown away with how rabbit-smart people are on here so I'm sure what we all come up with will be super useful :)

Here are some of the things you will need to cover, but I am sure I will have missed something:-

When and how much you feed them and what their normal reaction to food is - ii.e. do they eat it immediately, eat over space of a few hours etc - just so the friends can look for changes as this tends to be the first sign a bunny is ill.

Fresh water daily

What veg they are used to, so they dont get given anything they havent had before that might upset their tums

How much hay you give them

How often to clean the litter tray out

Include your vets telephone number and name of the vet you trust - it may be worth ringing the vets and arranging to settle any bills when you get back just in case anything happens. Also the number for the emergency out of hours vets (ours is a completely different surgery, but dont know if this applies to you).

Those are my thoughts for the moment, but will let you know if I think of anything else.

I think one of the main things to stress is that they need to keep an eye on their eating and pooing, and that if one of them stops doing either it is an emergency :wave:

Thanks! Great idea about getting in touch with the vet, will do that later on. I've come to the conclusion that they shouldn't have fresh veg for the week that I'm away because too many things could go wrong. The family has two young boys in it and I guess they could easily give them some veg from their dinners or something, totally innocently, but then obviously my buns could be ill later. I'd rather they were told not to do it at all. This wouldn't upset their tums would it? They only get a blueberry or carrot here and there - I am also paranoid about over feeding (there isn't much that I don't worry about these days :s)

Yeh when I go away I tell my bunny sitter not to feed them anything atall except their pellets for brekky and plenty of hay. Id be constantly worrying that something would happen when I wasnt there! :oops:

Yeh when I go away I tell my bunny sitter not to feed them anything atall except their pellets for brekky and plenty of hay. Id be constantly worrying that something would happen when I wasnt there! :oops:

Yeah I feel exactly the same. I think my next pet will be a turtle - something practically indestructible. Less stress :cry: Love the little ******* though...

Yeah I feel exactly the same. I think my next pet will be a turtle - something practically indestructible. Less stress :cry: Love the little ******* though...

I know, they are such a worry. The longest I allow myself and OH to go away together for is 5 days, and even then Im abit neurotic and call my friend every day asking her how they are :oops:
Long holidays are a thing of the past for me apparantly :roll: Wouldnt be without them though :love::love::love:

I have care sheets for each of my buns but I'm at work at the moment and can't e-mail them to you.

I include a photograph of each bunny (so they can be easily identified if they need to go to the vet).

A list of their personal info such as gender, neuter status, age, vaccination dates etc.

I then list a brief medical history if they've had anything major that someone might need to know. Plus a brief description of their day to day health including if they're prone to GI stasis.

I then list their general characteristics so that someone knows what to look out for as being 'out of the ordinary'.

Next, I list their daily routine, including feeding routine, together with a list of their regular veg.

Finally, I add a line about where they were adopted from and who to contact in case of an emergency.

If it was me I would make a daily routine of what I do so they can follow it.

I would measure out the amount of pellets for each day and put them all into seperate bags so the people minding only have to get one of the bags and empty it in to the food bowl every morning (or whenever?) for them, that way I know they are getting the right amount of pellets.

I would do the same with vegetables, but you say you aren't going to give them any then give strict instructions not to feed them any vegetables.

Give them plenty of fresh hay and make sure they know how important it is for them to have fresh clean hay full time.

And of course plenty of fresh clean water.

Then give instructions on how often to change the litter box. Provide what litter you use too.
I would also provide a disinfectant/water and vinegar mix to clean the litter box out with.

Ask them to make sure they have plenty of poos every day and that they look normal, not mucky etc.
Explain how important it is that if they even think they are sick to call the vet for advice.
Leave contact numbers for you, your hotel, the vet and the emergency vet and also I would leave contact number for any rabbit knowledgable friends you have so they can call them too if needed.
Maybe even a link to this website incase they need any advice too.

Leave a small amount of money incase they do need the vet and then arrange for yourself to pay the vet the rest when you get back. I would also talkt o your vet if this is ok to do or do you have to pay it all straight away.

I left a 4 page care sheet when I left my buns for 4 days - admittedly it was big writing! Don't forget to make a note asking them to check bums, everyone else's advice is great too.

A rabbit care book from the library may come in handy to leave?

Last edited:
Back