• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does no one get it???

Nicola1

Wise Old Thumper
I went to view a house yesterday and took my dad. The house was lovely but it was a tiny little dollhouse with carpets everywhere (even the bathroom) and no garden. It would have been perfect just for me and the OH but it was way too small for the rabbits.

When we were out I explained to my dad that I wanted a garden for the buns, I couldn't have carpet everywhere because of Grace and it was just too small. He was like 'well do you want a house for you or the rabbits, just put them in the "bungalow" in the yard [this is what he calls my 6ft double decker hutch. And he was serious he wasn't winding me up.]'

So I was like 'they are house rabbits and that hutch is way too small for ten bunnies'.

He told me 'oh well we've always kept rabbits in hutches when you were little, they live outside in the wild and of course the hutch is big enough, I could live in it' :(

Then me and the OH took some of the rabbits to the vets for their jabs. They were talking about how some people just do myxi once yearly and OH was like 'oh well we should do that'. So of course I kicked off, even the vet was saying 'you'd never forgive yourself for taking the risk if anything happened'

I'm just so sick :( I want a house my dad likes, his opinion is really important to me, and I want my OH to love the rabbits or at least to like them. The only rabbit he likes is Harvey, he's even said if we broke up Harvey is the only one he'd miss.

I feel so alone like I'm in my own little crazy rabbit lady bubble :( I just wish my family and friends and OH would support me a bit more in it when they see how happy the bunnies make me, I do the same for them even if I don't get their love of something.

I totally understand how you are feeling, I couldve moved out a year ago into a flat but I waited for a house with a garden as one of my buns hates being indoors.

I've had my OHs mum laugh at me when I said that my moving in gift from my parents was a shed/run combo & high fencing for my garden.

I'd be miserable if I felt that I was giving my buns the best life I could give them.

I totally understand how you are feeling, I couldve moved out a year ago into a flat but I waited for a house with a garden as one of my buns hates being indoors.

I've had my OHs mum laugh at me when I said that my moving in gift from my parents was a shed/run combo & high fencing for my garden.

I'd be miserable if I felt that I was giving my buns the best life I could give them.

exactly. when I moved here my mum was going mad, she said 'if you didn't have the rabbits you could have just got a flat'

Even though I told her flats in this area cost the same as a house (because they do) she just would not back down :roll: even without the rabbits I wouldn't want to pay the same amount for less space I would always go for the house if it was the same price as the flat

Maybe, in a completely tactless way, your dad was trying to make a point about the reality of what your money can get?

The thing is this one we looked at was way overpriced, it was in a nice area which is the main thing my dad liked about it. We have seen ones for the same price in slightly less nice areas (not rough or anything but in streets rather than cul-de-sacs which isn't what my dad likes) and you get far more for your money.

Go for a street rather than a cul de sac unless you want all the neighbourhood kids playing in front of your house....I know, we went for a cul de sac and are constantly annoyed by kids :roll:

No disrespect meant,
but why don't you look for something YOU like, then ask your dad's opinion? He can still like something you've chosen.
I understand you respect his opinion, but ultimately it is YOU that has to live in the house, not him.

Go for a street rather than a cul de sac unless you want all the neighbourhood kids playing in front of your house....I know, we went for a cul de sac and are constantly annoyed by kids :roll:

exactly :wave:. My dad doesn't seem to get that a nice area for him is totally different to a nice area for us, because he has a family whereas we want to stay as far away from kids as possible :lol:

No disrespect meant,
but why don't you look for something YOU like, then ask your dad's opinion? He can still like something you've chosen.
I understand you respect his opinion, but ultimately it is YOU that has to live in the house, not him.

I probably will do :( it's just everything I do I get made to feel like crazy rabbit lady for considering my pets in major decisions!

I probably will do :( it's just everything I do I get made to feel like crazy rabbit lady for considering my pets in major decisions!

You can't always expect everyone to follow your thoughts though. If i expected that, i wouldn't be living here right now :)

Whilst it is nice to have your dads approval so to speak, you have to remember, he isn't living there.

You don't sound like a very independant person so i perhaps wonder if you are seeking justification from others for a situation you don't feel overly happy about ?

Just be happy for you and do whats right for you :wave:

*turns off phylisophical head* :lol:

No disrespect meant,

Just what I was thinking - it isn't your dad who has to live in the house, so go for something that suits you.

Thats is why I love this forum so much ;):wave:

yeah, I don't want everyone to agree with me and come skipping through a field of daisies with me and the rabbits, it's just I'm sick of arguing with people over the rabbits. They won't just 'agree to disagree' they keep on trying to convince me that I'm being stupid for caring about my pets.

yeah, I don't want everyone to agree with me and come skipping through a field of daisies with me and the rabbits, it's just I'm sick of arguing with people over the rabbits. They won't just 'agree to disagree' they keep on trying to convince me that I'm being stupid for caring about my pets.

I get mocked by some "friends" all the time :evil: It used to upset me but now I just try to ignore it. All that matters is that you and your lovely buns are happy and they are getting the best life possible. I dont care what anyone except my bunnies thinks ;):love:

My bunny has been making multiple vet trips over the last few months. At work I always get "how's your bunny?", I say "yeah he's ok thanks". It is then shortly followed by "how's your bank balance?!". Erm. None of your business thanks. Yes it's expensive but I'm going to do everything I can to get my bunny better and the cost doesn't matter! :evil:

Maybe your other half is just a bit stressed with it all too, Nic? I know he's said what he did about only missing the one etc., but he is living with them too and if he's not so keen, it could be stressful. If he's not a "bunny person", then he's been quite accomodating so far seeing as you have 10. Therefore, maybe he just is feeling the pressure a bit. :?

I hope you're ok. We all have people in our lives that just do not "get" it. I didn't tell anyone specifically yesterday that Gertie was having a dental and I was worried about it because they just wouldn't care, or they'd make some crappy comment I could live without.

Don't feel bad. My poor O/H is stuck here with me at my parents because I refuse to move out until we are going somewhere that accepts my pets.
(Not that we can afford to move out right now, but when we can, I mean).

Don't worry, I'm a crazy rabbit lady too! :lol: they are my number one priority in every aspect of my life, I don't care what anyone else thinks, although I understand it's nice to have people who 'get it'! :) my OH is good, he loves the bunnies (although not as much as me!) and understands my obsession :)

i completely understand. when my ex landlord told us he was selling up i freaked. we had a hard enough time finding our old flat when we had 2 dogs. who was gonna be happy for us to have a dog, 2 buns, 3 hammies and fish!!!! thankfully someone i worked with had a sister who was looking for tennants and to be honest this place is far from ideal and over priced but i could bring all my guys with me and that is all thats mattered. luckily my OH feels the same :) to begin with people mocked me for the love of my furrys but the people who matter (family and close friends) see how they keep me balanced and happy :)

Back