• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What actually IS Mysi and VHD

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
heard the terms mentiond soo many time but no ide what they actually do to a rabbit, which is more serious is any and wht symptoms do they have x

Both myxi and VHD are a virus. They are spread by biting insects such as fleas and mosquitoes but are also spread by direct contact. VHD in particular is highly infectious.
Myxi causes swellings under the skin and will often occur on the face and around the anus and genetalia. There are two strains if the disease but myxi will result in almost certain death.
VHD is caused by a calicivirus and basically causes necrosis of the liver and sometimes spleen. Infected rabbits will die either from internal bleeding or liver failure.

Both diseases are quite horrific but are easily avoided by vaccination. VHD is not often reported as death tends to be sudden and therefore most people think 'oh the rabbit has just died' rather than believing that there was a soecific cause. As you can imagine, many rabbit owners will not pay for a post mortem to establish cause of death.

priced it up will be 544.25 per year for all my buns!! thats like about 4 months DLA!! :shock::shock:

will they not do a discount if you take several at a time?

im not sure! they didnt with my 3 buns for neuting but cos I cudnt take them in all together etc! was thinking of spreading them out over the year doing them at different times of the year so its easier on my pocket!

im not sure! they didnt with my 3 buns for neuting but cos I cudnt take them in all together etc! was thinking of spreading them out over the year doing them at different times of the year so its easier on my pocket!

This is what I do. I have 3/4 buns done a month.

Back