• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in urine after spay

HorseyHolly

Mama Doe
Mischief has been spayed this afternoon and is now in my room snuggling on a cushion, but her urine is red :shock: It looks like blood to me. I checked round the wound and her private part but there's nothing there, so i'm pretty sure it's coming from inside. I don't think this is normal? Help!

Hi,
As your bunny has just been spayed today, the blood is prob from the internal wound. The vet has to clamp and then tie off (using soluble suture material) at the cervix and as a result a little blood may be seen in the urine. You will almost certainly find that this will cease over the next day or so. There should not be large volumes of blood, more just a bloody discolouration in the urine, but if you are concerned then contact your vet tomorrow.
For a little reassurance, just check the colour of your bunny's gums/inside lip - they should be a nice pink colour.

Hi,
As your bunny has just been spayed today, the blood is prob from the internal wound. The vet has to clamp and then tie off (using soluble suture material) at the cervix and as a result a little blood may be seen in the urine. You will almost certainly find that this will cease over the next day or so. There should not be large volumes of blood, more just a bloody discolouration in the urine, but if you are concerned then contact your vet tomorrow.
For a little reassurance, just check the colour of your bunny's gums/inside lip - they should be a nice pink colour.

This!
But the colour of the gums won't be a good indicator as you need to know what colour they were before to compare. Just like when vets are operating on an animal they check the gums before doing anything to get to know the colour they normally are and then throughout the operation they keep checking them and comparing them to the first colour they were.

If it was me, I would call the vet for advice over the phone.

Kitten was spayed a few weeks back and she had a blood loss afterwards, i just took her down for a check over they said as above was the most likely reason just to monitor her and as long as it didnt continue all was good, and it didnt it was just a one off! Im sure all we ok but u have my thoughts it just such a nervy time but if ur at all worried go down they wont mind at all :)

It's probably just pigments from food, if she's not drunk as much as usual then it'll be more pigmented than usual. You can put a piece of toilet tissue in it and see if it clots, if it doesn't it's just pigment. But if you are worried phone the vets :)

She has peed since and it's normal colour :) Thanks for all the help :wave: she peed on the cushion she was sitting on and it has dried a deep red, so i think it might be pigmentation fortunately, although she hadn't had anything like carrots or dandelions before :?
She is almost back to normal eating and has done quite a few small poops so all is good :D

She has peed since and it's normal colour :) Thanks for all the help :wave: she peed on the cushion she was sitting on and it has dried a deep red, so i think it might be pigmentation fortunately, although she hadn't had anything like carrots or dandelions before :?
She is almost back to normal eating and has done quite a few small poops so all is good :D

I think there are a few other things that can cause it. They might've given her something at the vets to get her eating that she doesn't normally have at home. :) Or she might've just been slightly dehydrated so it was more concentrated than usual.

Glad it's back to normal now.

This!
But the colour of the gums won't be a good indicator as you need to know what colour they were before to compare. Just like when vets are operating on an animal they check the gums before doing anything to get to know the colour they normally are and then throughout the operation they keep checking them and comparing them to the first colour they were.

If it was me, I would call the vet for advice over the phone.

But if the gums are white then there is clearly a problem. Don't necessarily need to know usual colour to know if they're not the colour they are supposed to be.

Back