• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More rabbits

LauraJane

New Kit
I currently have two sisters who live together and I am planning on getting some more rabbits. Even though the new rabbits will live in a different hutch, will my rabbits get jealous and be ok with the situation?

It is possible, are your rabbits neutered and spayed? Will the two you get be neutered and spayed?

There is something called referred aggression when a rabbit smells another and attacks their partner because they can't get to the other rabbit. Even thoug all mine are neutered and spayed one in particular still suffers from referred aggression sadly.

However some people have rabbits in eyeshot, earshot and smellshot (?!) of each other without problems.

This site is a pro rescue site so we arent really good at advising on breeding. I wouldnt suggets breeding your buns unless you know their genetic history and know a LOT about what to do.

Is there a reason you want to breed? Your buns would be much happier neutered and living together.

If you want to experience babies why not foster for a rescue?

With all due respect you want to reconsider that. There are many possible dangers to the female rabbit, you need to know back three generations at least on both sides and there are over 30,000 rabbits in rescues waiting for homes.

This is a pro rescue site so most of us don't support needless breeding and would prefer to help get those rabbits out of rescues and into good forever homes. :)

Spaying and neutering has lots of benefits, both behavioural and health wise. 80% of does will get ovarian cancer by the time they are 6 if not spayed. :)

when we got our rabbits vaccinated, the vet advised us not to get them neutured because of the risk of the operation and because they are not even one yet, we decided against it. The rabbits we are getting are needing a home because they have been born in a school by the school rabbit.

when we got our rabbits vaccinated, the vet advised us not to get them neutured because of the risk of the operation and because they are not even one yet, we decided against it. The rabbits we are getting are needing a home because they have been born in a school by the school rabbit.

i suggest the school rabbit is neutred too :wave:

I haven;t read your thread really, sorry. I just wanted to comment on the fact I though I had posted a comment and not realised! My full names are Laura Jane Leigh stevens.

so bizzare! Sorry, had to comment :) I'm easily emmused by things like that you know!

That sounds like a vet very unused to dealing with rabbits. Providing the rabbit is healthy and the vet is used to treating rabbits the risks are low, certainly lower than 80%. :) Neutered rabbits also tend to be a lot happier because they are not constantly driven to mate.

I would change vet if thats what they advised. With a good vet and healthy rabbits the risks of a bun dying under GA are low whereas the likelyhood of a doe getting uterine cancer is high

If the buns were born by a school you wont know if their parents and grandparents had any genetic problems such as sore hocks, teeth issues any organ problems etc which could effect any babies they had

I have now read your thread, I agree with what everyone else is saying.

there are mild risks to fixing a rabbit, but the risk of cancer is great, and they suffer more, not to mention they can't behave like normal rabbit in groups etc, too much fighting and babies. I'd advice fostering if you want babies. I'd also advise you get a new vet! They don't sound very rabbit aware to me.

so, let me get this straight, if i have all four rabbits neutured/spayed, will they all live happily together in the same hutch/run?

so, let me get this straight, if i have all four rabbits neutured/spayed, will they all live happily together in the same hutch/run?

They should do if bonding is done correctly. They will need to have been neutered for about 6 weeks before you bond. The ideal accomodation would be a shed with run attached for a group of 4

Possibly, it depends on the personalities of the rabbits. I tried last year to bond mine into a four but one is very feisty (possibly due to being spayed a bit later in life) and we never managed to get a strong bond with her and two of the others.

Back