• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poorly bun U/D He's died

NickieM

Warren Veteran
My bun Wolfie has had a large jaw abscess lanced under GA today and is back home. He had the operation about lunchtime because when I phoned at 2.30 it was all over. Since I have taken him home, he is really limp and lethargic. Not interested in eating at all. I tried to give him some water through a syringe, but he just lay there and never took any.

I have him in the house in a plastic crate lined with a cottom sheet over a hot water bottle. He also has a hot water bottle against the side and he is covered with towels. He seems to be in shock or could it just be that the GA he had had to be very strong and it is taking a lot out of him. I have never experienced this before and am worried.

Last edited:
Nessie was like that after being on IV all day with bloat, they wanted to keep her in but I wanted her here overnight for Jingle, when I realised how weak and lethargic she was I kept her in, it' was largely down to the opiate pain relief she'd had I think aswell as her digestion being haywire.

I'd not panic too much at this stage personally, providing he has all he needs in easy reach, some lukewarm boiled water might be better than cold etc I'd let him rest, she went all night till the next morning and the only thing I could think to try was putting her on grass as she wouldn't have anything and I didn't want to stress her with syringing critical care, if she'd not started nibbling the grass she'd have gone back to the vets but luckily it seemed to stimulate her instincts.

I'd imagine his mouth is sore and they've most likely given him pain relief and fluids, fingers crossed by morning he'll have eaten some bits, count what you leave out so you'll know and maybe some mashed pellets in boiled water will be palatable, fingers crossed, it's horrible and very upsetting to see them like it but it's early days, he may surprise you :)

Has he had pain relief? If you're not sure, phone them and ask them. Also ask them how long you should wait before bringing him back in if he's not eating, and whether syringe feeding would be beneficial and at what point.

He may just be feeling worn out and slightly painful, as it's fairly big stressful procedure for a rabbit, and will pick up soon. But do keep an eye on him and speak to the vet sooner rather than later if he still won't eat.

hope he's ok x

Poor lad :cry:

To be honest if he is that flat I would not attempt giving oral fluids/feeds as he may aspirate them.

Are his gums nice and pink, not white ?

It may be that he needs re-admission for IV fluids so I would call the Vets for advice if I were you

Hope Wolfie improves very soon.

Has he had pain relief? If you're not sure, phone them and ask them. Also ask them how long you should wait before bringing him back in if he's not eating, and whether syringe feeding would be beneficial and at what point.

He may just be feeling worn out and slightly painful, as it's fairly big stressful procedure for a rabbit, and will pick up soon. But do keep an eye on him and speak to the vet sooner rather than later if he still won't eat.

hope he's ok x

He's had metacam and metaclopramide and I have metacam for tomorrow.

Jane, he seems a bit cold and I have two hot water bottles in with him. He has towels on him and is on a flannelette sheet which is doubled up.

My beautiful boy has died. I think the whole thing was just too stressful. I called the vet but he had gone by then. I'm numb.

:shock: I'm really sorry Nickie, I don't know what else to say other than you did what you could do. Very sad.:(

The duty vet contacted the partner who operated and he was totally shocked and quite upset too. He just didn't expect it either.

Back